Bali diving: Eel garden in Rubaya vs. Menjangan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yuhtnav

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Eel garden is something I've not seen yet so I really want to see in this upcoming trip to Bali
So I learned there's one in Rubaya, which is easier to reach to, and another one in Menjangan, way northwestern Bali.
If anyone has happened to dive both sites, could you please share your thoughts of the 2 sites?

Thanks

I'm trying to place the Rubaya dive site to think if I've ever dove it on a trip to Tulamben, but I do remember there is an eel garden on one side of the Liberty Wreck. The one in Menjangan is really nice..very large field of eels. If you had to pick one of the two areas, the Tulamben area has better diving to offer overall with the Liberty, muck sites like Seraya, etc. and, as you mention, it's closer to DPS. Eel gardens are quite common, and you're sure to see them almost anywhere in SE Asia as you do more diving.

A possible alternative is the eel garden near the Liberty wreck at Tulambon, which you may be visiting anyway. If I remember correctly if you swim up towards the shore keeping the wreck on your left there is a decent patch of eels on the sand in maybe 6 to 10 m. I first dived in in 2004 and then again last year - it did not seem as dense in 2012 but was still good to see.

There's also a huge eel garden in Amed, (can't remember the exact site name) the local dive guides can find it for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom