Bali before liveaboard (help needed)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Novo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am arriving in Bali next weekend and staying for 8 full days before boarding a liveaboard to Komodo.

I am planning to visit around Ubud, dive tulamben and Nusa Penisa for the mola mola. I have 1.5 days after the liveaboard to visit Southern Bali.

How do you think I could optimize this?

Three days visiting Ubud and around (3 nights), 1 day diving tulamben (2 nights), and dive/visit nusa penida during 4 days (4 nights) from a nearby island or bali?

First time visitor and it is unlike I will return any time soon to Bali.

Plan updated:
Day 1: arrival 19-20pm to Bali, sleep near the airport
Day 2 & 3: early transfer to ubud, visit around and sleep in ubud
Day 4: morning transfer to tulamben, afternoon plus night diving, sleep in tulamben
Day 5: full day diving plus night dive in tulamben, sleep there
Day 6: morning diving in tulamben, transfer to nusa lembongan
Day 7, 8, 9: morning diving from nusa lembongan, visits to nusa penida (land) in the afternoon, sleep in nusa lembongan
Day 10: transfer to bali and boarding Mermaid II to komodo

How does it look?

Plan updated:
Day 4: morning transfer to tulamben, afternoon plus night diving, sleep in tulamben
Day 7, 8, 9: morning diving from nusa lembongan, visits to nusa penida (land) in the afternoon, sleep in nusa lembongan
Looks good.

I would look at using the Novotel on arrival, you can walk there from the International Arrivals, although the signposting is not 100% clear.

The hotel is excellent with 24 hr food and very clean (I have no associations with Novotel in any way). I used it three times during my last trip to Bali / Komodo.

Plenty of choice at Tulamben.

Plan updated:

How does it look?

Looks like a pretty solid plan.

I am in Lombok at the moment but was just in southern Bali last week so I can for sure tell you to avoid the main tourist areas like Canggu and Uluwatu. It is mad house!! I have not seen Bali this busy in a while. This is a proper high season!! Even Kuta, Lombok is what I would consider busy.

If you have no intensions of seeing southern bali and your main goal is to visit Ubud and dive Tulamben then I would also say @Searcaigh has some good advise to just stay close to the airport. Everywhere in Bali is traffic jackpot. Even Sanur since they built that stupid Icon mall is horrible now too.

It is actually really really sad to see what Bali is becoming. Not to sound rude but especially areas like Canggu there is a specific demographic of people from a very big country that starts with an "R" and ends with an "A" that have all flocked to Bali and overrun it (same thing is starting to happen in Phuket, Thailand as well) and I am not saying all of them are bad but they have built up a reputation and I have seen it first hand for being very rude to the locals (and other tourist as well), not following local laws, acting like they own the place, working illegally in the country, drugs, prostitution, etc. etc.

It actually got so bad that the Balinese Governor Wayan Koster asked the Indonesian Ministry to stop issuing visa on arrival to R****A citizens and its neighboring country that they are currently at war with.

Looks like a pretty solid plan.

I am in Lombok at the moment but was just in southern Bali last week so I can for sure tell you to avoid the main tourist areas like Canggu and Uluwatu. It is mad house!! I have not seen Bali this busy in a while. This is a proper high season!! Even Kuta, Lombok is what I would consider busy.

If you have no intensions of seeing southern bali and your main goal is to visit Ubud and dive Tulamben then I would also say @Searcaigh has some good advise to just stay close to the airport. Everywhere in Bali is traffic jackpot. Even Sanur since they built that stupid Icon mall is horrible now too.

It is actually really really sad to see what Bali is becoming. Not to sound rude but especially areas like Canggu there is a specific demographic of people from a very big country that starts with an "R" and ends with an "A" that have all flocked to Bali and overrun it (same thing is starting to happen in Phuket, Thailand as well) and I am not saying all of them are bad but they have built up a reputation and I have seen it first hand for being very rude to the locals (and other tourist as well), not following local laws, acting like they own the place, working illegally in the country, drugs, prostitution, etc. etc.

It actually got so bad that the Balinese Governor Wayan Koster asked the Indonesian Ministry to stop issuing visa on arrival to R****A citizens and its neighboring country that they are currently at war with.

I am planning to spend 2 days in Southern Bali after returning from Komodo.

There is NO better place to stay BY the airport than Novotel as suggested by @Searcaigh.
Ubud? Lovely place 30yrs ago.

Refusing to remove shoes!!!!! Who the hell she think she is?
B500.00 fine(US$14.00)!!!! What a joke.

I had a very brief conversation with a passenger sitting next to me on the way from HK to Phuket as well as another one at Phuket airport waiting for the flight home. Both of them did not see anything wrong in the invasion of Ukraine.
There isn't a war between russia and Ukraine, it is a mere special military activity!!!!!!

Hope Ukraine will get the land back.

This post will be deleted or modified because it upsets certain @#$%^@#$.

There is NO better place to stay BY the airport than Novotel as suggested by @Searcaigh.
Ubud? Lovely place 30yrs ago.

Refusing to remove shoes!!!!! Who the hell she think she is?
B500.00 fine(US$14.00)!!!! What a joke.

I had a very brief conversation with a passenger sitting next to me on the way from HK to Phuket as well as another one at Phuket airport waiting for the flight home. Both of them did not see anything wrong in the invasion of Ukraine.
There isn't a war between russia and Ukraine, it is a mere special military activity!!!!!!

Hope Ukraine will get the land back.

This post will be deleted or modified because it upsets certain @#$%^@#$.

OMG this is crazy!! When I see and hear they way some of them treat the local staff at a restaurant it makes me boil and I really have to bite my tongue not to say anything and make a scene (especially since sometime over half the restaurant is from that same place) but if I saw someone do this to a local pregnant women I would loose my sh!t!!! It is really really sad how the locals are being treated:sadness::sadness:

I don't understand how someone can treat another human being with such disrespect especially when they are a guest in there country. Just like the Thai's the Balinese are soooo polite they are almost too polite that a certain genera of tourist uses this to take advantage of them.

Plan updated:

How does it look?
love this

Hey, hope you have a great time with your upcoming trip 👌

Not wanting to sidetrack the subject of your Bali trip, but I thought I'd share this incident.

ANJING GILA YANG GIGIT 11 WARGA JEMBRANA POSITIF RABIES
Eng...
(THE MAD DOG THAT BITE 11 JEMBRANA RESIDENTS IS POSITIVE FOR RABIES)

Senin, 22 Jul 2024 15:19 WIB

I read local Indonesian news everyday, written in Bahasa Indonesia. And a shocking story was reported of a rabies infected dog going crazy, and biting eleven people in Bali last week.

I've been to Indonesia 105 times, and I've never worried about being attacked by a dog there. But dogs, like underwater life, don't discriminate, or single out certain nationalities, or make biased political statements, they'll attack you regardless of your nationality, gender or age.

The mass rabies attack last week, occurred in West Bali, so you should be good in Ubud. Although an Aussie tourist got bitten by a monkey in Ubud last month, and paid US $6,000 for rabies shots after.

And beware of big bos orangutan in Indonesia 😯 😁

clyde.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom