Balanced Siglestage regulators.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smurf

Reaction score
Hi, I owne two old twohose regulators. A spirrotechnique Mistral and a spirrotechnique Royal Mistral. I asked someone what the big difference is between them and he said that te Royal mistral is a balanced single stage and the mistral an unbalanced. Now my question is what is the difference in function?

thanks,smurf

smurf once bubbled...
Hi, I owne two old twohose regulators. A spirrotechnique Mistral and a spirrotechnique Royal Mistral. I asked someone what the big difference is between them and he said that te Royal mistral is a balanced single stage and the mistral an unbalanced. Now my question is what is the difference in function?

thanks,smurf

If he's right, which I can't confirm, then one of your regulators is probably pneumatically balanced for tank pressure the way most, if not all, modern regs are. If this is true then it would have been quite an innovation at the time. Mechanically, it probably uses a slightly lighter spring to close the valve and it might breath a little easier, especially at low tank pressures.

In any event take my advice and upgrade. :wink:

R..

I always thought that the only difference is that Royal Mistral has one-way valves in the mouthpiece and the old Mistral hasn't. Plus a remodeled case. But then again, I've never dived either one of
them. yet..

http://www.wttfw.freesurf.fr/article/article.php?langue=uk

check out "Standard Mistral regulator diagram",
"Royal Mistral regulator diagram" and "Functionality principe of the Royal Mistral". The working parts seem all the same to me.

I think the Royal Mistral never made it to the US. It was just a modified Mistral single stage unbalanced reg.

In the US,we had the Mistral variants, which were single stage and unbalanced, then the Aquamaster, which was two stage, and the Royal Aquamaster, which was two stages and balanced, and was considered quite the thing in its day. As result, a lot of Americans assume the "Royal" must mean balanced.

There's a schematic for the RM at:
http://www.sea-cruise.net/royal_mistral.htm
where you can see quite clearly that the demand valve is the same as on the other Mistrals.

Neat reg!

smurf once bubbled...

thanks,smurf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom