"Balanced Rig"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Active Control Ballast (or some such nonsense)

They are little weight pockets that fit on the harness.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised JJ likes them (yes, I realize Halcyon must sell them for a reason). I've never used them, but I helped three people set them up recently, and it seemed to me that they interfered with can light placement and required a slightly longer hose on the SPG.

Personally, I feel more balanced with some of my ballast on my waist, separate from my rig. And with my pocket weight belt, I can drop individual weights or the entire belt almost as easily as the ACB systems.

I like using a weight belt, too, but it is apparently frowned upon in Cave.

So it's channel weights/weight plates or nothing? Or are they ok with ACB but not a weight belt? (and if so, wtf?)

While JJ's piece gives an excellent description of a balanced rig for an environment where entanglement is not an issue, it completely neglects the problem, that has been discussed earlier, of "balance" when a diver might have to remove his or her rig. That may be fine in a cave but is a potentially deadly oversight in some open water and most Northeaster Wreck situations.

Personally I would love to ask how many people have ever had the very real need to remove their gear underwater where it didn't involve them being a dumb $-hit to begin with.

While JJ's piece gives an excellent description of a balanced rig for an environment where entanglement is not an issue, it completely neglects the problem, that has been discussed earlier, of "balance" when a diver might have to remove his or her rig. That may be fine in a cave but is a potentially deadly oversight in some open water and most Northeaster Wreck situations.

Easy to answer, DIR divers never remove their gear underwater. The system is in place to avoid such a CF.

Ditching weight to pin yourself to the ceiling isn't very practical. Plus, as JJ's article pointed out, putting the weight on your waist usually isn't the best location for achieving proper trim.

Ditching weight to pin yourself to the ceiling isn't very practical. Plus, as JJ's article pointed out, putting the weight on your waist usually isn't the best location for achieving proper trim.

True in some cases, but many of us have managed to achieve good trim even with some weight at our waist. We should reconfigure a working system for caves? After all, just because you can ditch doesn't mean you will.

And how is a weight belt at your waist different from an ACB setup, in terms of trim and ditchability?

True in some cases, but many of us have managed to achieve good trim even with some weight at our waist. We should reconfigure a working system for caves? After all, just because you can ditch doesn't mean you will.

In freshwater? I wear completely different gear between home waters (even fresh) and my cave rig. I'd be pretty damned surprised if anyone needs more than 10lbs of lead in a cave. Plura and other arctic situations being a notable exception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom