"Balanced Rig"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've heard this term thrown around a lot, and have seen a couple different uses for it, so my question is:
What does the term "balanced rig" mean to you? and is there an official DIR definition?

The definition I use doesn't quite fit how I've heard DIR folks using it.

Thanks,
Tom

balanced rig means that your total floatiness (suit and body bouyancy) equals your total sinkiness (tanks plate regs and lead) within the weight of the gas that you're carrying, allowing the diver to swim to the surface even in the event of a total bladder failure.

balanced rig means that your total floatiness (suit and body bouyancy) equals your total sinkiness (tanks plate regs and lead) within the weight of the gas that you're carrying, allowing the diver to swim to the surface even in the event of a total bladder failure.

Not quite.

Next!

Not quite.

Next!

Good to see you're still around, poking eyes and such. :D

FWIW, I always believed a balanced rig to mean - with a total loss of buoyancy, the entire rig can either be swum to the surface or walked out (in the case of a cave situation).

GI III:
Wings must not be too big or too small. A diver must start with a balanced rig which gives him every chance to deal with emergencies. In ocean or lake diving, steel tanks should never be used without a drysuit. Double wings are an invitation to a disaster - do not use them. Elastic wings are a disaster waiting to happen. They can not be operated safely by mouth, they lose their gas if ruptured, they can not be breathed like normal wings, and they cause more drag than normal wings. For ocean, aluminum 80's are the tank of choice. If more gas is needed, take an aluminum stage, but don't risk your life being over weighted at the beginning of the dive. The buoyancy characteristics of aluminum, especially when using helium , are such that a weight belt and or canister light will provide the necessary ballast which can be dropped in an emergency, making the rig only reasonably negative when full, neutral when empty, but swimable by dropping the weight. In cave, steel must be used with a drysuit and they must be negative enough to allow the diver to stay down in a low on gas emergency. There is nothing worse than being too light to stay off the ceiling while low on gas and then struggling. For this reason, the rig must be balanced to a no gas situation prior to cave use, and weighted accordingly.

Not quite.

Next!
Helpful post there Jeff...You don't like that answer, but you are not willing to risk providing your own. Very impressive.

Helpful post there Jeff...You don't like that answer, but you are not willing to risk providing your own. Very impressive.

Hey bud, you might want to look in the mirror. :popcorn:

To answer the OP's question: A balanced rig in the ocean is two-fold. First, the rig must be negative enough that at the end of the dive you can maintain buoyancy with little or no air in the wing. This ensures that you will not surface unexpectedly if you were to have to breathe your tanks all the way down. Second, the rig must not be so negative that you can't swim it up at the beginning of the dive if you were to suffer a wing failure that made it useless. If you cannot swim the rig up, you either need to change to less negative tanks and add a ditchable weightbelt or add redundant buoyancy in the form of a drysuit.

What it means to me: For those of us on the West Coast...we're diving in 50* water, so the drysuit is already a pretty darn good idea for a 60-90 minute runtime. Due to the amount of weight required to offset the undergarments, steel tanks provide several benefits. They provide a larger capacity. They provide "useful" weight...i.e. the weight is the same you need to carry no matter what, so 6 lbs of tank is more "useful" than 6 lbs of lead. LP steel tanks can be overfilled to increase the available gas.

Actually, I have answered that question a bunch of times. If you don't like my answer...tough.

Ask me if I care.

Jeff

The OPs question was "what does the term mean to you" would you care to explain to me just exactly what it means to ME

Ok then, What it means to you is not quite right. But if it works for you...cool, but it still wouldn't be a DIR answer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom