balance with a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonk999

Contributor
Reaction score
Giddyup pony!

But seriously, I have a question about pony mounting and buoyancy balance. Most pony mounts I've seen pictured are on the side of the main tank. How does this affect in-water balance, given the extra few pounds to the side of center? Does it need to be counterbalanced with opposing weight on the opposite side of the main tank? Or can it be compensated by adjusting one's weight belt? What the prevailing wisdom on this?

-Simon

When I first started out, I had the pony strapped to the tank and always felt unbalanced. Then one day, someone pointed out to me that having the pony on the tank was not such a good idea since it's not easily accessable and can be easily snagged. Ever since then, I've kept my stages or deco bottles on my left side under my arm and never experienced any balance problems. In this location, it's very streamlined, removable, and comforting. I haven't looked back.

Good luck.

Mike

I've never met Mike, but have reached the same conclusions - so we must be right!
Rick

I have a balance problem with my pony when diving in warm water since I don't use any weights. I always mounted the pony on the side of my primary tank with makes me tend to list to the side. In cold water the problem is mostly corrected by shifting a couple of pounds to the opposite side of my weight belt (my 30ft pony is 2lbs negative).

With that said -- It never occured to me, until a long thread started here about ponies, to treat my pony like I would a deco bottle, (kinda dumb of me I guess) and sling it under my arm. Next dive, I'm gonna try this and see how it affects my balance.

Nobends, here's some pics that shows stage rigging. E-mail me if you want a description of how to rig it. The materials needed are a piece of rope (3/8"?), 2 bolt snaps, 1 hose clamp, and rubber inner tube. No metal to metal contact and keep it dangling a little bit off your chest to allow it to "find it's own place".

http://www.wkpp.org/equip_moreimages_3.htm

Good luck.

Mike

Thanks for the pics LY. Between that and the Technical Diving Handbook by Gary Gentile, I should be able to get something together. Looking forward to trying it out!

When I carry my 30cf I keep my right side weights 2# heavier than the left side and that seems to balance the bottle under my left arm. If I don't, when I am just floating I get a slow roll to the left.

JoelW

I'm with Lost Yooper -- rigging like a stage under the left arm is easy and despite what you may think, the pony stays out of the way. I've tried this with a 30CF AL pony and it really did not affect my trim at all (I admit, I was skeptical when others told me that this would be the case). I think a full 30CF AL is about 1 lb negative. For a larger than average person like me wearing a XXXL jacket/john wet suit who has to wear 40 lbs of lead, a pony won't affect my trim. This may not be the case with someone diving in the tropics with no weight.

It's nice to see some sensible alternatives.Yes the stage method is a good way to lessen the trim and entanglement issues inherent in pony diving.Even when diving heavy steel stages,I find that after a minute or so I'm adapted to the excess weight on one side.I usually have two so balance isn't a prob.Heres another way as well,by configuring other gear(light or canister,knife etc...)its often possible to trim out without the addition or removal of your usual weighting.this can be very important if that pony runs away or has to be dumped,even a couple of #s positive can make for a chamber ride .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom