Baja/Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to go to Cozumel. My wife wants to go to Baja.

We have vacation time in the middle of November.

My wife likes the idea of seeing big animals. I like the idea of diving in cenotes and seeing the ruins of the Yucatan. I have been to Cozumel many times-she none.

Im afraid that the vis in Baja will be poor. And if you don't see any big animals then there isn't much coral to look at.

Do they cost about the same?

I appreciate the input and opinions

Mike

Why does she opt for Baja? Is she into marlin fishing?

The diving's much better at Cozumel, and the water's warmer.

She wants to see big animals-as if I'm not animal enough for her!

That's her interest-big animals.

buff once bubbled...
She wants to see big animals-as if I'm not animal enough for her!

That's her interest-big animals.

Take her to the circus! ;^)

My husband and I did dive at Cabo, and the sea lions were a true thrill to frolick around with. Actually they did all of the frolicking, and we struggled to swim through a 5ft (ish), surging, crevasse (sp?) to see them at Land's End. What we did see was exhilarating though.
I do understand that there are many more varieties of large animals on the Sea of Cortez side, around Loreto or LaPaz. There should be good spots to see Hammerheads somewhere around there. They may be quite a trip out on the boat though. I don't remember if Cabo Pulmo (2hrs from Cabo-Sea of Cortez side) has many large animals or if it's mainly a show of color.

I was really excited about the large animal viewing too, when we took our trip to Cabo, but in that respect I was disappointed. Our location was not prime for it. Should've gone to LaPaz, but Cabo was so fun!
I would suspect, given your location in the US, you could probably find deals that are closely priced for Coz or Baja.

FYI: Expedia
MSP - La Paz, Air + Hotel, 11/15 - 11/22, $758.49 Hotel Los Arcos

or

MSP - CZM, Air + Hotel, same dates, $850.01, Hacienda San Miguel

Hope this helps some.

La Paz is awesome for big animals, but generally not in November. Summertime is better. They get whale sharks and the viz is awesome.

If you go in November you'll still probably be able to see hammerheads at El Bajo. At that time of the year their numbers can be lower. I saw six in January. I hear that in the summer there can be 60 to 100 crusing the pinnacle.

Most dives there are 2 tanks, and the dive sites are loooong boat rides away. I think a summertime liveaboard in La Paz would be killer. I hear the Don Jose is a good one.

I would stick with Coz for November. Nov is just the wrong time of year for La Paz.

Bob

I'm leaving for a week on the Don Jose tomorrow morning. I'll post a trip report when I get home.

I have been to both Coz and Loreto and enjoy them both. I prefer the low key small scale diving more overall. Coz is like visiting a museum on a moving sidewalk. In Loreto diving is a relaxed all day experience. I thought the viz was just fine but then I ordinarily dive Monterey. Check out Villas de Loreto and Dolphin Scuba. I have been to Coz 3 times and caanot remember anyones name there .Our divemaster Raphael in Loreto threw down a few post dive brewskies with us and showed us how to get enough clams for an afternoon feast. No clubs or much else in Loreto. What a devil's choice. We will be there certifying divers Oct 19 and incidentally hope to make it to Coz in Jan 2004.

buff once bubbled...
I want to go to Cozumel. My wife wants to go to Baja.

We have vacation time in the middle of November.

My wife likes the idea of seeing big animals. I like the idea of diving in cenotes and seeing the ruins of the Yucatan. I have been to Cozumel many times-she none.

Im afraid that the vis in Baja will be poor. And if you don't see any big animals then there isn't much coral to look at.

Do they cost about the same?

I appreciate the input and opinions

Mike

We dive the Sea of Cortez a few times a year, albeit from San Carlos rather than Baja. Unless sea lions qualify as 'big animals', there are no guarantees (a frolic with sea lions is nearly guaranteed, especially the young ones around Thanksgiving).

I would vote for Coz, but..I'm divorced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom