Baja: La Paz recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mysticeti

New
Reaction score
Hi Divers,

A group of about 7 divers is looking for recommendations for La Paz for a week in October (preferably one of the last two weeks of the month).

It looks like the prefered live-aboards are spoken for and Club Cantimar can only take us during the first two weeks of the month.

Any suggestion on what should be our second choice for La Paz?

Thanks!

I've only dove with Club Cantamar, so I can't speak to any other outfit. In terms of the dates, Visibility in La Paz is a function of the tides and storms; the greater the tide change the stronger the currents and the worse the viz. Since tides are strongest with the New & Full moon, you might want to schedule your trip around them. Here is a tide prediction for October: Tide/Current Predictor

Are the dive boats full or just the hotel? You can stay in town and CC will pick you up and drop you off. ( We had a few anxious moments doing this and made some frantic phone calls, but it worked out.) We stayed at the Marina hotel.

Last edited:
I've only dove with Club Cantamar, so I can't speak to any other outfit. In terms of the dates, Visibility in La Paz is a function of the tides and storms; the greater the tide change the stronger the currents and the worse the viz. Since tides are strongest with the New & Full moon, you might want to schedule your trip around them. Here is a tide prediction for October: Tide/Current Predictor

Are the dive boats full or just the hotel? You can stay in town and CC will pick you up and drop you off. ( We had a few anxious moments doing this and made some frantic phone calls, but it worked out.) We stayed at the Marina hotel.

Not to hi-jack your post, but....
Of course, this is the second post I have read about the tide changes effecting the diving down there since i booked my trip to La Paz. And, of course I booked it on a new moon in august, What should i expect?
Currents don't worry us if the dive boat is heads up. poor vis would be a bummer.....

Getting back to the original question, my family and I stayed in the Time Share portion of La Concha a few years back and we really enjoyed the 3-bedroom, fully equiped condo. We rented by the night, hotel-style and it was pretty reasonable. Cortez Club is their on-site dive operation and it appears to have expaned a lot since I dove with them.

Please feel free to drop by BajaDivers.com where we have a number of dive operators listed, along with links to their Web sites. You'll also find write-ups on popular dive sites/areas in the La Paz area as well as operators and sites in other parts of the Baja peninsula.

We're an informational Website for divers planning trips to the Baja peninsula and our goal is to list every established dive operator and every named dive site/area along Baja's entire 2,000-mile coastline. We're not quite there yet, but the La Paz area is well covered.

I was in La Paz for a week in the middle of May and dove with The Cortez Club. I think I ended up doing around a dozen dives with a few different dive masters. I found The Cortez Club very professional. Everybody there was great. The fellow to talk to is Ricardo Fifield he runs the operation. The boats were good the equipment I had to rent was fine. Also nitrox is available. He informed me that October and November were very busy months for them so you might have to get on it quick. If I can answer any more specific questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom