Bailout Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

helios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
More of a procedural question than a technical one.

I'm curious what others do... When setting up your bailout, do you pressurize the system and keep the tank open, or keep the tank closed but keep the system pressurized, during the dive?

For my “deep” or bottom gas bailout I keep the tank on all the time. For any deco bailouts I keep them charged but off. This is the same as when I dive OC. This way I have instant access to bailout gas and don’t have to deal with turning the bottle on when I need it.

Slung bottles pessurized and valves off. You want all your bailout there when you need it not slowly burping out and draining away.

same as @Tug my go to BO gas is on and ready to use -other bottles are charged but off (obviously if Im off boarding any gas then its on)

My BOs is always on with a few exceptions.
Deep mix BO in open water is the feed to my BOV at a minimum so it's on for that. Cave diving in backmount, the lefthand bottle is feeding my BOV and ADV too so it's on the righthand deep mix has a long hose which is donatable so that is on. On the Kiss sidemounting, the BOV is fed from the left and dil is from the right so again - deep BO is all on. For shallow dives the left offboard BO is feeding my drysuit, so again it's on.

21/35, 35/25, 50%, and/or O2 deco gasses are charged but off.

The BO for the appropriate depth/gas mix your at should always be fully open.

That is the whole point of a BO. If you need to BO generally means it is an emergency situation so you need a breathable source of gas quick, you don't want to be messing around with valves

For my “deep” or bottom gas bailout I keep the tank on all the time. For any deco bailouts I keep them charged but off. This is the same as when I dive OC. This way I have instant access to bailout gas and don’t have to deal with turning the bottle on when I need it.
A mate of mine was told by service tech that if you're going to leave them off, turn them off when you get to depth...that way you reduce the chances of water ingress.

Back
Top Bottom