Bahamas or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This a place where taxi drivers only deal in American dollars. They can't make change in pesos because they rarely have Mexican passengers. There are no public buses which is unheard of in the rest of Mexico. Only in the last couple of years have collectivos begun to operate.

This just isn't true; none of these statements. Get off the waterfront. I'd say there are "two versions" of Cozumel. You're describing the waterfront version and it's not right to paint the entire island with the same brush.

I'm somewhat in agreement with CaptRam about Coz. I stayed there last year for 2 weeks and compared to other parts of Mexico it felt like a theme park for cruise ship passengers. The locals earn their living from the thousands of cruise passengers who pour off the ships every morning. Many of them pre-book tours and go straight from the ship to the van or taxi or whatever that takes them around the island. Those who don't run the gauntlet of taxi drivers, tour operators, jewelry shop owners, restaurant owners, etc who have a short period of time to make their sales pitch. This a place where taxi drivers only deal in American dollars. They can't make change in pesos because they rarely have Mexican passengers. There are no public buses which is unheard of in the rest of Mexico. Only in the last couple of years have collectivos begun to operate.

I really enjoyed the dives i did but would never stay in Coz again. Much rather stay in Playa del Carmen and go to Coz for the day.

I have to agree....it has definitely become a theme park for cruisers. Our first trip there, 10 yrs ago, it wasn't but you could see it was coming. We have been to Cozumel 7 times, stayed all over at different types of hotels and eaten at all the best places recommended by SB members, and IMHO the place has changed dramatically. We were just there last year, but we are now sold on Scuba Club Cozumel and will not stay anywhere else. It is like a Mexican hacienda, we love the vibe there and stay inside the gates most of the time now. And I also agree... we'd rather stay over in PDC now, much more "Mexican" and less "Cruise ship paradise".

BACK to the OP questions...
We have done Bahamas liveaboards twice, but on the Nekton boats, so a bit different experience. I would say that if you aren't against the camping-at-sea aspect of Blackbeards, you should do that trip. The Bahamas are definitely getting hurt by the lionfish invasion, but there are tons of turtles and most likely sharks, plus liveaboards are just plain fun. (I sleep like a baby on a boat, too)
I have heard that Blackbeards doesn't give you a chance to do more than 3 dives a day most days due to slow compressors but I think it might sell you on trying a liveaboard again in another area. If your budget allows, check out Aquacat or Explorer Ventures boats in the Bahamas instead.

robin:D

robin

My 2 cents worth-- ok I’m not sure of the name of the resort I stayed at, it was the year before last- yes the building, staff and even the food served there was very good, just like you might get in any American city, and yes if I went outside and did not know where I was it could have been Miami or LA, or any other big city,- the point is for me when I travel to different countries on vacation I want to feel like I’m in a different country-(I out of USA- 7 months a year 4-8 country’s a year-www.sailing-charters.org - shameless plug) there was all sorts of fast food shops and wall to wall resorts without a break between them- to me personally this is terrible, I’m sure many people love this type of vacation or it would not be there- I suppose I like the off the beaten path kind of place , a place that has the old charm, and some of the taste and character of the old culture -Authentic food and customs - I ate there 2 weeks and only had what I would consider 1 real good Mexican meal ,a lot of ok ones- while I had lots of good food there I was looking for really good Mexican food and I found little of that-Lots of cheap shops that sold- made in China Tourist Souvenirs but very little made in Mexico items-I was looking for Gold & Silver smiths and could not find any- I wanted to buy turquoise bracelets and when I found them I realized the stones were fake plaster painted- I rented a car so I went all over the place, as far as the ruins in Itza- it was much better off the island for sure- I walked through the streets and met people and asked where is the best Mexican restaurant and a few pointed to here or there and I was not impressed- No complaints about the diving , I just prefer the Bahamas out islands all the way around –but maybe I’m partial I ran Dive Charters there for 10 years - to each his own i – I just wanted to give a different perspective of Coz

I have heard that Blackbeards doesn't give you a chance to do more than 3 dives a day most days due to slow compressors but I think it might sell you on trying a liveaboard again in another area. If your budget allows, check out Aquacat or Explorer Ventures boats in the Bahamas instead.

robin

Only three dives a day is a deal breaker. That accounts for their low price if accurate.

No doubt about it, Coz has changed a lot over the years. But then again so has the Playa area as well. Even back in the 80's when I first started Coz was really only good for diving anyhow. Sure there are some ruins and some things in town such as bars and clubs. If I am in a party mood I prefer to stay over in Playa and take a ferry over to dive Coz. But if I want to get a lot of diving in and that's my focus then its all about the island. Hotel Coz gets it done at a reasonable cost and Dive Paradise gets my business.

Only three dives a day is a deal breaker. That accounts for their low price if accurate.

Post a question about Blackbeards down on the Liveaboards Forum. You will get responses from those who have done it in the past year. Also, do a search on that forum for "Blackbeards" and you might get a few trip reports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom