Bahama's liveaboard: M/V Caribbean Explorer / Blackbeards??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Newbie alert, so please be gentle.

I'm looking at heading out the Bahamas on my own sometime in Oct / Nov for some diving. It seems a liveaboard would be a great option in terms of accomodation costs and actual diving.

Done the research and in terms of cost it seems Caribbean Explorer or Blackbeards work out quite good. Blackbeards is slightly cheaper, but then the accomodation seems a bit more basic.

What are peoples views on the two operations (I have searched and have found quite a bit of info on Blackbeards on this board, but not so much on Caribean Explorer I).

As I'll be on my own, would it really matter which boat I went with? Also in terms of experience (I've done about 70 dives) is the Bahamas a good destination, or should I have more experience?

Thanks for any help.

The Bahamas is fine for your experience level, imo. Dives 22-50 for me where all in the Caribbean. Nice deep walls that start at 90 feet, really cool wrecks, beautiful reefs and fish, incredibly blue and clear water. Currents vary from mild to very strong.

Cheers for that confirmation.

Any views on the boats?

Also I'm trying to work out the logistics of getting from Nassau to Georgetown (if I go with Explorer. So far in terms of getting there the option is to take Bahamas Air. However I have heard its not the most reliable airline in the world. The other option is Sky Unlimited, but I have not been able to contact them. Chartering a plane would probably be out of my budget!! Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Follow up with the Explorer folks for transportation arrangements.

Everyone else has the same problem and they may be able to make the arrangements for you.

We were on the Explorer in the southern Bahamas and loved it. Do a search in this forum - there's a trip report that I wrote and other people as well.

The dives were great, but on the whole they were deep - avg 90 + every dive. Saw a greater hammerhead - real high light of the trip.

Bay Adventures arranged all our travels (www.bayadventures.com) We flew from DC to Nassau, Nassau to Exuma (Bahamas Air) - no problems at all

Have fun PM me if any other questions

NAIBDiver1

Blackbeards is based out of Grand Bahama. Only 70 miles or so from Florida with direct flights into the island from Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm. I don't know a lot about the Explorer but have seen Blackbeards.

Small sailboats with a dingy or 2 in tow. I have heard it is a bit like "camping" as far as the accomodations go. When I see them on the water it is a bit commical, laundry hanging from the boom while divers are getting on and off the boat.

Curious though, accomodations on Grand Bahama are quite reasonable ($50 and up per night) and the diving is not terribly expensive either. Grand Bahama Scuba offers a 10 dive package for $275. That's with tanks and weights included. Wrecks, reefs, sharks, and deeper (90+) is what they do every week.

I don't know if you are hooked on a liveaboard or are still considering a land package.

www.grandbahamascuba.com

Hope this helps.

Mike Rushton
PADI DM 174448

Thanks for the info, still looking into it!!

Mike, reason I thought about liveaboard, was because I thought it work out cheaper, esp as accomodation is not the cheapest out in the Bahamas. I will look into the land package though. Thanks for the suggestion.

In terms of getting out the the Bahamas, I'm based in Europe and the easiest (and cheapest) is to fly to Nassau and then connect on from there.

Hi

Have read the other reports about Carib Explorer I, very useful, thanks. Me being European and working on metric system had lots of joy trying to work out the different measurements used!

One thing I picked up reading the reviews was about Nitrox. I'm AOW, but have only ever dived with Air. Would it be advisable to get trained up on Nitrox for this trip? It seems there will be lots of diving (i.e. c. 20+ dives over the week).

It was my trip on the Explorer I a year ago, that made me decide that the next time I do a live-aboard, I will DEFINITELY get Nitrox certified. My daughter & I were near the caution bar on our liberal computers several times due to, as mentioned earlier, the many deep dives. We even skipped a dive or two to gas off a bit. If you want to get ALL possible dives in, I would highly recommend Ni certification. Explorer offers a sweet deal when you get certified on board, & reduces the rate a bit for using Nitrox for the week. You'll have a great time. Incidently, I have also done the Blackbeard trip, & though I had a great time, I would say there is more variation w/ the Explorer & a LOT cushier accomodations.

MN Lakeman:
It was my trip on the Explorer I a year ago, that made me decide that the next time I do a live-aboard, I will DEFINITELY get Nitrox certified. My daughter & I were near the caution bar on our liberal computers several times due to, as mentioned earlier, the many deep dives. We even skipped a dive or two to gas off a bit. If you want to get ALL possible dives in, I would highly recommend Ni certification. Explorer offers a sweet deal when you get certified on board, & reduces the rate a bit for using Nitrox for the week. You'll have a great time. Incidently, I have also done the Blackbeard trip, & though I had a great time, I would say there is more variation w/ the Explorer & a LOT cushier accomodations.

Cheers for the info. I read your Explorer report as well, was very useful. I'll look at getting Nitrox qualified before I go though (so I get some dry suit diving done in the Channel Islands).

In your report you mentioned that being a veggie may be a problem, was it really that bad, or were you just a bit limited on what they gave you food wise?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom