Bahama Diving (July/Aug) - Exposure Suit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparg93

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a newbie, so this is going to be a pretty trivial question.

What is the appropriate exposure protection I should bring with me for my liveaboard diving in the Bahamas (suit, gloves, boots) ??

Thanks!

People vary a lot in how warm or cold they run--I was comfortable in May with a 5mm suit and hood on most dives. If you're on a liveaboard doing 4-5 dives a day for a week, you'll start to chill more and more by the end of the trip, just because of the constant exposure. I'm sure the next poster will say that he never wears anything more than a pair of shorts!

Not me. I get cold even during the summer in Florida with a full 3 mil.

For July and August alot of it will depend on how deep you are diving and the number of dives you are doing per day.

I used to cruise the bahamas every year aboard private boats. The water is still pretty chilly in May, even colder than the water off Fort Lauderdale, as it has not warmed up all the way yet and I can see wearing even a 5mm. However, the water is very warm in July and August. I used to just wear a rash guard and I never got cold in the summer months. If it were me I wouldn't wear a suit for any shallow dives but some people like to wear 1mm or skin for skin protection. I would burn up in even a 3mm for the shallow dives. If I were making repeat deep dives in one day I might consider a 3mm for later dives in July/August.

As my diving travel settles down to 2-3 trips a year to the Caribbean, I'm seriously considering a DUI 30/30 Tropical dry suit, both for the warmth, and to get away from struggling with wet neoprene.

As my diving travel settles down to 2-3 trips a year to the Caribbean, I'm seriously considering a DUI 30/30 Tropical dry suit, both for the warmth, and to get away from struggling with wet neoprene.

You said it brother!

For the warmth, to avoid struggling with wet neoprene, and most importantly....

to look good!

Our last liveboard trip in the Bahamas was February, 2007. We wore 3mm full suits about 80% of the time. We took our 5mm's along with 3mm hoods and used then on night dives.

The water is warmer in August.

From all the advice - I bought my skin today and I'm taking my 3mm with me...if i'm cold, i'll throw on the 3mm...otherwise i'll prob wear my skin with light gloves and boots for the trip.

We just got back from the Caribbean Explorer II Southern Bahamas June 13-20 trip and I was actually cold in my 3mil. We did 5 dives a day generally. It didn't matter the time of day, there were some decent thermoclines. Average temp was around 79 degrees fluctuating to 81 degrees. I always wear a 3 mil and am not usually cold. I'd definitely recommend taking a skin in addition to 3 mil. Some people also wore hoods. I wear booties and took my gloves but didn't wear them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom