Bad Pictures - Cheap camera or Photogragher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I just got my film back from my Key Largo trip and wow do the pictures stink! The camera was a $20.00, and it was my first time so I am not terribly surprised.

So my questions to the more seasoned UW photographers are...

Is the grainy image because of the Camera? Or because I wasn't close enough? (Some shots I got really close - at least I thought I did)

Will Photoshop help at all with these photos (see gallery)

And finally should I get a $70.00 - $100.00 camera, or wait until I can afford a better one, or wait till they make a housing for my digital?

I uploaded a few of my "best" shots to my gallery, I did not know how to attach to this post

Thanks!

Those are actully not too bad for those cameras..

These cameras are sold to be pretty much all around point and shoot things, as much as possible the try and make them errors proof at the expense of doing nothing really well.. the lenses are very wide angle so as close as you think you got you needed to be closer still.
The reason the are as grainy as they are is that they are under-exposed. Nothing you can do about that however. The film they use has to accomodate both the underwater photos and those taken on a sunny beach with the same exposure settings.. the only way they can do that is to underexpose the underwater shots and over expose the others..

You might get a bit of an improvement if you stay shallow and photograph only on sunny days.

Photoshop can help a lot..

I would suggest you wait until you can afford a better camera.. either that or rent.

1st picture is a fireworm
2nd picture is a scorpionfish

Wait until you can get a housing for your digital. Don't waste money on the throw away/disposable cameras. They take decent pictures above the water, but most don't take very good underwater pictures unless you are really shallow and have great lighting.

Melissa

Scuby -

For those of us using a different skin providing a link to your gallery would be most helpful :) You simply copy the url of the gallery, then in your message click the little globe/link icon and paste it in.

To insert images into your message from your gallery, go to the gallery, select the image and scroll down - you will see a little box with the url of that particular image inside. Copy then paste directly into the message - viola! There it is!

Now on to your topic. I would house your digital when a housing comes out for it, or add a digital with a housing if no housing is available for yours.

In the meantime, those little disposables will get OK results as long as you are close enough (but not too close or the photos will be blurry) and as long as you get light on your subject. I like the Snap Sights with flash...you can turn the flash on and off, load new film and new batteries. We keep one on the boat all the time - so far we've run 11 rolls through it.

But by the time you've bought the camera ($20), developed it ($10?), waited to take it in & for it to return ($??) found out you don't have many salvageable shots ($??) - how long does it take to come close to a $180 manufacturer's housing?

Thanks! Some members have a gallery link under your name, but others (like me) don't use that skin and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles - a link is always helpful!

I see two things right off the bat that may help if you decide to stick with these cameras: 1 - get closer. Think arm's length - just off your fingertips. 2 - get lower. Shooting down eats light, flattens the image and just makes it tough on yourself :) Practice that duck diving! LOL

I'd be surprised if they come out with a housing. Might be time to invest in a second (we call them back ups ROFL) digital and a housing. I'd point you to the Canon A or S series and Canon housing - great for throwing in a pocket or backpack on land & fabulous results underwater. There are other choices from other brands that will do the job, too!

Scubydoobydoo:
Hi,
And finally should I get a $70.00 - $100.00 camera, or wait until I can afford a better one, or wait till they make a housing for my digital?
Thanks!

Disposable camera's are exactly that.... fixed focus plastic lenses with a fixed aperture, fixed shutter, and fixed ISO. So what do you have to work with.. hmm... you got NUTHIN! :D

You likely could try some things to improve these shot either in PS, or next time you shoot, but IMO don't bother.

If there is not a housing for your camera, their likely will not be one in the future. Most manufactures announce the housing with the camera, and Ikelite does not make housings for very many PnS models plus the IKE housing will cost more than an entire setup may as they generally run over $500.

I'd suggest a new or used digital that has a housing available. You will be MUCH happier with the results, and when you post questions, we can give some answers as to how to use the camera controls to improve things which is not much of an option with your current setup :05:

I was trying out the new Adobe Lightroom and here is a couple minutes of alterations.

Back
Top Bottom