Bad freeflow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this in.

I dive an Apeks ATX 200/ATX 40. I just put a new bungie on the 40 and was practicing switching between primary and back up. Trying to see if I could switch to the back up with no hands.

First attempt, close, but no good, so I switch back to my primary. Second attempt, closer, but all of a sudden the 40 starts free flowing like crazy.

What could have caused this?

Temp at depth was in the low 40s. But air temp wasn't that cold, and I don't think I breathed the 40 on the surface at all. This was about 15 minutes into the dive and after being at the same depth (ie. same water temp for at least 5 min) I did have the venturi switched open all the way, but it didn't free flow even the tiniest littl bit until this point.

Was the ATX40 detuned properly or set on max ?

I'm guessing it is set to max. It's set to wherever it is right out of the box.

grunzster:
Sorry if this isn't the correct forum to post this in.

I dive an Apeks ATX 200/ATX 40. I just put a new bungie on the 40 and was practicing switching between primary and back up. Trying to see if I could switch to the back up with no hands.

First attempt, close, but no good, so I switch back to my primary. Second attempt, closer, but all of a sudden the 40 starts free flowing like crazy.

What could have caused this?

Temp at depth was in the low 40s. But air temp wasn't that cold, and I don't think I breathed the 40 on the surface at all. This was about 15 minutes into the dive and after being at the same depth (ie. same water temp for at least 5 min) I did have the venturi switched open all the way, but it didn't free flow even the tiniest littl bit until this point.

Was the mouth piece facing up when you started the water movement over the reg? It could have been just like entering the water with the reg at the wrong angle and starting a free flow.

Gary D.

If there is a venturi lever and it's in the open position and the reg is out of the mouth then once flow is started it'll keep going on it's own.

If that's the problem moving the lever or putting a hand over the mouthpiece will stop the free flow.

When the reg's out of your mouth keep the lever back.

Also, turning the mouthpiece down should stop it unless you have a freeze-up.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Also, turning the mouthpiece down should stop it unless you have a freeze-up.
Rick

Once you get an Apeks flowing turning the mouthpiece down won't stop it.

Freeflow will stop once you put it back in your mouth or place a thumb over the mouth piece creating back pressure. When kept in the octo position detune the venturi and the finr tune control. The reg will still provide ample air and you can adjust it to you liking when your able.

MikeFerrara:
Interesting.
The Legend (the easiest breather I've ever found) must not be as "Apeks-ish" as I've heard.
Rick

MikeFerrara:
that has not been my experience. My apeks ATX40 has, on occasion started to free-flow (ussually when first entering the water, and because the lever was in the "easy breathe" position) and has always stopped as soon as I turned it mouthpiece down. I now check the positon of the levers before enrtering the water and have not had any problems. I also have my regs serviced on a yearly basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom