Bad dive spot in the carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on St Martin this spring. Diving was less than mediocre, however i spent a week on Saba (very cheap jump flight from St Martin) and had a great time. most dives are quite deep and lots of current to deal with but very cool unique area. The island is amazing (no beaches what so ever though).

Turks and Caicos is a pretty good dive destination so maybe not the best choice for someone who doesn't want to be tempted to dive. Staying at Beaches with limited diving offered doesn't help as you just call one of the other ops and they'll pick you up - actually many folks would recommend that you do just that if you're staying there and want to dive.

I would look at St Maarten (a friend told me they were very unimpressed with the diving there.) Or St. Barts, Anguilla, Antigua, Nevis, Barbados, etc - there's a number of islands in the northern lesser Antilles that are known for nice beaches and places to stay, but not so much for diving.

Maybe even the Bahamas. Not positive, but if you stay someplace on Nassau or Grand Bahama, it seems there is not much choice in dive ops or you could find someplace very nice where it wasn't very convenient to dive.

I'd check out DR. Development is pretty recent so the resorts are fairly nice and competition keeps prices low. We stayed in Bayahibe on the south coast and I know many who've been to Punta Cana. Be aware that you need to stay in the resort as going outside of the gates can be a little scary. There's not much to see in town anyways. Bayahibe was mostly European (Germans and Italians) wereas Punta can has more North americans

I was on St Martin this spring. Diving was less than mediocre, however i spent a week on Saba (very cheap jump flight from St Martin) and had a great time. most dives are quite deep and lots of current to deal with but very cool unique area. The island is amazing (no beaches what so ever though).

I was in Sint Maarten in August. Lovely people and good food, but flat out terrible diving. Lots of tiny sailboat man made reefs with virtually no coral. Lots of big lobsters though. The only fish larger than a squirrel fish was the Shark dive which had a 5' reef shark and a 3' one.

I was in Sint Maarten in August. Lovely people and good food, but flat out terrible diving. Lots of tiny sailboat man made reefs with virtually no coral. Lots of big lobsters though. The only fish larger than a squirrel fish was the Shark dive which had a 5' reef shark and a 3' one.

Sorry to hear that you weren't impressed by the diving in Sint Maarten. Did you try diving on the french side (St. Martin)? We have some awesome spots here, especially up by Tintamarre, where the Atlantic Ocean mixes with the Caribbean Sea.

Diving was less than mediocre

Oh, come on. The diving is AT LEAST mediocre.

Seriously, though, it's not as exciting as Saba, but there are lots of good sites.

Lots of tiny sailboat man made reefs with virtually no coral.

This sounds like the site called Le Pont. It was never the best site and I think has gotten worse since the last couple hurricanes. But it's not really indicative of the sites here in general. For wrecks, there are at least five large ships (Porpoise, Gregory, RoRo, Fusheng, La Renee). Most of the best reefs are near Tintamarre, as mentioned above, and some of them are quite nice.

St Lucia (Sandals) - you have it all!

Great romance, great restaurants, great location and if you desire the occasional diving it is all included; Double tank dives in the morning and single in the afternoon. Of the 3-Sandal resorts in St. Lucia the Regency was our choice and a good one.

I dived in Cancun which was dreadful although I'm not sure I'd recommend it for any sort of holiday.

What about Roatan, Honduras? Okay so the diving is amazing but with the trips being so close to shore most of the shops only do one tank dive trips so you can get up early, get a quick dive in and be back in time for a late breakfast with your wife.

Why not consider Cayos Cochinos?
It is one of the most romantic places with complete privacy. Away from tourist filled bars, roads and noise.

The option to dive/snorkel is there all the time, however along with it comes great kayaking, hiking and involvement in the local community.

Back
Top Bottom