Bad attitudes about solo diving are still prevalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what boat diving in Florida is pretty much like, it's de facto solo diving. Nobody asks me if I have a buddy, nobody asks if I need a buddy. The DM does not dive and it is every man for himself. If I come up 10 min later than everybody else, nobody bothers to ask me why.

Rule #1 of solo diving is you don't talk about solo diving.
I think you are talking about only some parts of Florida. The ROE for panhandle, east coast and Keys are not the same.

The two push offs at the end... smh...

Second guy was so impressed by the 1st guy's technique he immediately replicated it.

Why I prefer solo diving.
Why don't these divers put a little air into their BCD and get off the bottom?

SeaRat

I've read every page in this thread and find myself baffled by a few things...

"Bicycle helmet laws are the reason no one cycles in Australia" - Er Wot? Distance is the reason not a lot of people use bicycles as their primary mode of transport and I've bought up two kids under mandatory bike helmet laws and never heard anyone complain. If anything the hardcore Spandex crew are given extra protection that annoys drivers. We have to stay 1m away from them at all times yet still I get stuck behind a bunch of them 3 abreast with helmets on.

There are no laws governing Solo diving in West Australia. If I choose to go look at the bottom of the Rottnest Trench and die, that's my fault, my families problem and worst that happens is the coroner finds you responsible for your own death and you get a crappy news segment with someone official reiterating the dangers of solo diving.

I was diving this morning - by myself - as a chronic insomniac I'm not having a lot of luck finding 4am buddies. I found a sweet spot with lots of leafy and weedy sea dragons, blue ringed octos in ridiculous numbers and a whole lot more in 6m. Just on dawn I got the biggest scare I've had underwater when another solo diver who I had no idea was there (he had no idea I was there either) came into sight. We both almost spat out our regs in surprise...and after a few new hand signals and laughs finished the dive together. Talking once we were out of the water he mentioned he was the local doctor who also never tells his wife. I don't tell my parents or kids for the same reason. Lecture avoidance. So was that a solo dive or what? I went in solo but came out with a buddy??

I'm a new diver compared to many here but I had a good 6 or 7 years before I started solo in a few sites I'm very familiar with....if anyone takes exception and thinks I'm "ruining it" for the dive community well...you're most entitled to you're opinion. What you are not entitled to is storming up to me and "educating/berating" me.

Or better yet, do the world a favor and quit diving?

Or better yet, just stop breathing. Their blatent disregard is certain to carry on through every aspect of their life.

Back
Top Bottom