Bad Air or Tank issue maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadobadoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
SO I am getting ready to go diving in the morning with my NEW PST steel 80's and hook up a reg for the first time to both and notice that only one of them has a strange taste. I think maybe it's just me then I ask my diving wife the old question, "Does this taste funny to you?" She says yes but we both agree that it's not really strong but enough to make us worried.

Now, the taste also smells the same. I have never had bad air (to my knowleage) or used a tank that had problems (to my knowleage). I would describe the taste and smell as new, slightly chemically, maybe a tiny bit silvery or metalic, and well it smells the same as well while the other steel PST E7 80 has no taste or smell like my aluminum tanks too.

Perhaps this is some minor rust on the inside of my new steel tank? No color on my first stage yet...Any thoughts and advice would be useful. Oviously I need to take the tank in...Thanks! I thought maybe a bad fill but only one tastes funny...

Hey there scubadobadoo!!!

Take the tank back to the shop you bought it from. Have them drain it, pop it open, and check it out. If all is fine inside, have them give you another air fill and see how that one is.

The reason you want to drain the tank there is so they can verify the taste/smell of the air. Plus, when a tank comes in empty, it's supposed to get a visual. That's pretty much what you're asking them to do by peeking inside.

Good for you for noticing this before using it!

Let us know how you make out. I'm curious.

Eileen

P.S. Give mu best to your "diving wife".

So you finally got your baby yellow fins huh? Two pair if ya count your avatar! Thanks for replying. Hope to see ya at the seal dive in August.

So, here's what the deal was. The person who set the tank up smothered the Oring with lube and I mean covered it to death. I could barely even see the Oring under the lube. That's what I was tasting and smelling. So, drain, look inside, find a ton of lube, clean the valve, lube again LIGHTLY this time, refill, no problems! Thanks for looking out for me! See ya soon! We are trying to plan a weekend up your way SOON. Hope you are well...?

Back
Top Bottom