Bad air fill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I just got 8 tanks filled, I checked the air and pressure when they came back and the air smells bad, I cannot use them.

I will of course be talking to the filling station; this is the first bad fill I have had in a few years and the owner is normally fastidious with filters etc.

But I want to know what to do with the tanks with bad air. Is it possible that I can just run them to empty and refill with clean air? I have a horrid feeling that it's not going to be that simple and I may have to clean and service each of them?

Any advice appreciated - of course if the owner of the compressor offers to compensate me then all good although a bad experience like this does erase some of the trust I have.

Thank you all, dive safe.

Can you define "bad fill"? I would think different smells might call for different protocols.. but some might argue to clean / vip etc. just to be safe.

I had a bad fill from a shop once.. oily smell. They denied it could be them and I had to clean and VIP "at home" (lol). Crystal green, hot water, compressed air to dry.. still alive and kicking today.

P.S. - @rhwestfall that's a hell if a list!

Can you define "bad fill"? I would think different smells might call for different protocols.. but some might argue to clean / vip etc. just to be safe.

I had a bad fill from a shop once.. oily smell. They denied it could be them and I had to clean and VIP "at home" (lol). Crystal green, hot water, compressed air to dry.. still alive and kicking today.

P.S. - @rhwestfall that's a hell if a list!
It smells like clean rubber? I think that's the best way to describe it.

Hopefully @Nudibranch Diver you managed to persuade the supplier of air to check out his compressor and if there was a problem, it was rectified.

me:

View attachment 739379

okay then... (and I am not affiliated with a shop...) carry on, and you be you...
It was not my intention to imply your advice was invalid; hence my direct statement saying I lack experience to say either way. You show you have the training and experience to give sound recommendations, but this is a general board and not every person giving their recommendations have such qualifications to back up their opinions.

Thus, my statement about "only trusting my shop" was applicable to my knowledge on the matter and what I would do personally. My post was meant to share my personal experience with "bad" air versus commenting on the validity of other posters.

Back
Top Bottom