Backup light recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a 4th vote for the Photon Torpedo. It is a true, reliable backup light.

For daytime poking around in nooks and crannies, the SL4 is my choice. It's actually a pretty reliable piece of equipment, one that would actually serve you well as a backup for night dives, if you're not venturing into overhead-restricted.

As far as I know, the only way to order the Photon is through the web site, or PM Chuck over on The Deco Stop.

All the best, James

Focused wide beam vs. focus narrow beam

I know very little about lights. It's my weak point when it comes to gear.
I know what the effect is of the different light types I listed here, but is one better than the other for looking under ledges? My inclination is to think that the narrow beam would be a better choice if I want to get in close on macro life but that the wide beam would be better for a scanning and spotting.

How far out in left field am I? I've never used a light for diving during the day so I'm not sure what I want or need. I've looked up all the recs you guys made and I like them all. But I definitely want something that I can clip to a D-ring because I have no pockets to speak of on my BC (SP Ladyhawk).

Thanks again for the help

Just a thought. As a recreational diver, I have only used my backup light myself once. It has been used several times, however, by other divers.

Rick Inman:
Just a thought. As a recreational diver, I have only used my backup light myself once. It has been used several times, however, by other divers.

Then it officially becomes a "land-a-light" not a back-up light. :D

Tamas:
Then it officially becomes a "land-a-light" not a back-up light. :D

did you mean lend-a-light?:D

Scubaroo:
Wide beam very quickly vanishes during the day. Stick to the narrow beam.

Thanks Scubaroo. Narrow it is then.

ANd thanks to the rest of you as well for the recs and advice. I haven't decided what to get yet, but at least I have a short list from which to decide.

:10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom