Backup 2nd/Octo Choices for Mk20/G250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kf4zht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Bought into the streamlining pitch from my scuba instructor years ago and ended up with one of the Tusa Duo-Air units. Want to get rid of it and move to a more Tec/DIR setup. Planning on learning doubles or sidemount in the next year or two and want to make sure what I choose makes sense for that.

Thinking that it makes more sense to get another normal 2nd stage rather than an "Octo". That way I can just move it off to another 1st stage whenever I move. Right now I am searching ebay for another matching G250, but are their others that would work also? How about one of the other brands (ie HOG)?

I like the idea of getting the same exact thing as it minimizes parts/spares but am not tied to it for that.

Also - Where do yall recommend ordering hoses and such from. Going to switch to a 5' primary but the LDS looked at me like I had 2 heads and said it would have to be custom made. Prices seem to be all over the place and it's almost hard to find non-miflex style hoses. So far cave adventurers seems to be winning

best solution is to purchase another mk20/g250 combo. It keeps everything matched and will make service easier. Other alternative is to switch to another setup completely and use the mk20/g250 for stage/pony/deco etc. Nothing wrong with mismatched sets, but if you're purchasing another second stage, it will be cheaper to purchase the first stage with it than buying both independently.

You can use just about any second stage you want with the MK20, but the G250 and it's successors are about as good as anything else on the market.

I would skip 5'. I think they're pretty useless, go straight to a 7' if you're going that route, if not the Streamline OW kit or whatever they're calling it is good. I prefer that, but the DIR crowd doesn't like the extra failure point of the swivel. To me 5' is just awkward compared to 7', and the 40" is much preferred for non-overhead diving. 6 is one, half dozen the other, but I have just never liked 5'.

Hoses, Cave Adventurers is where I get mine from. Call prior to ordering, may get a better deal if you're ordering a bunch.

best solution is to purchase another mk20/g250 combo. It keeps everything matched and will make service easier. Other alternative is to switch to another setup completely and use the mk20/g250 for stage/pony/deco etc. Nothing wrong with mismatched sets, but if you're purchasing another second stage, it will be cheaper to purchase the first stage with it than buying both independently.

You can use just about any second stage you want with the MK20, but the G250 and it's successors are about as good as anything else on the market.

I would skip 5'. I think they're pretty useless, go straight to a 7' if you're going that route, if not the Streamline OW kit or whatever they're calling it is good. I prefer that, but the DIR crowd doesn't like the extra failure point of the swivel. To me 5' is just awkward compared to 7', and the 40" is much preferred for non-overhead diving. 6 is one, half dozen the other, but I have just never liked 5'.

Hoses, Cave Adventurers is where I get mine from. Call prior to ordering, may get a better deal if you're ordering a bunch.

Yeah, really looking for another matched pair. Seem to find more of the Mk10/Mk25 but ideally a mk20/g250 with a SPG would be ideal.

The only reason I was looking at 5 was not having a canister light. I should be able to tuck it under my bc pocket though.

I have a 5' and never use it. The only way it works is if you get the tank really low and close in otherwise the hose will bind up under your arm and also doesn't give much room for turning your head to the left.
I use a 40" under my right arm without a swivel (didn't find that I needed one) and that's fine for basic rec diving.
Look for another G250 or you could look for a G200B (G250 without the adjustment knob) or even an R190 would be fine. It's only a backup I'm guessing on a bungeed necklace?

MK20 or Mk25 are both fine for matching your mk20. They are virtually identical except for maybe the outside appearance. For 2nd stage, get something like G250v. They are as good as it gets for 2nd stage.

Have you looked at the Scubapro G260?

Yeah, really looking for another matched pair. Seem to find more of the Mk10/Mk25 but ideally a mk20/g250 with a SPG would be ideal.

The main differences between the MK-20 and MK-25 are: 1) The MK-25 has a composite piston which older MK-20 may not have. Scubapro went through three pistons on the MK-20. 2) The MK-25 has externally adjusted IP while the MK-20 uses shims. A MK-20 can be upgraded to a MK-25 by replacing some parts.

If I remember correctly the G-250 was primarily sold with the MK-10, MK-15, and early MK-20. By the time the latter MK-20 came out Scubapro, was selling the MK-20 with the G-250 HP and the S600. The G-250 HP didn't get much love, but it is still a solid regulator. It is an S600 in a larger case. Old timers poo pooed it because it was more complicated and used a plastic air barrel but so did the S-600. Also you can upgrade that regulator to a metal air barrel also.

If you can't find a decent G-250 then go for a G-250 HP with the latter MK-20. A MK-20 and MK-25 use the same service kits as does the G-250 and G-250 HP (and other seconds like the G-500, G200B, R-156, S600, G-250V, etc).

---------- Post added August 11th, 2015 at 03:05 PM ----------

Look for another G250 or you could look for a G200B (G250 without the adjustment knob) or even an R190 would be fine. It's only a backup I'm guessing on a bungeed necklace?

The G200 and G200 B uses a different air barrel than the G250 so it does have differences other than the adjustment knob but that would be a good choice also. The only problem is on eBay you usually see them paired with a MK-10.

Back
Top Bottom