Backscatter Mini Flash Field Test—What is a Snoot and Why You Need One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackscatterUW

Contributor
Reaction score
BackscatterUW A new article has been posted

Backscatter Mini Flash Field Test—What is a Snoot and Why You Need One

Backscatter_MF-1_Update_Banner-SB.jpg

Continue reading the Original Article.

It's products like these that look interesting, but until you try one, it's very hard to know if you will like it. I've tried a lot of snoots, each with pluses and minuses. On this one, the questions that come to mind are: How do the aim it--the hardest part of snooting if you are alone; is it very powerful?--I'm skeptical here that such a small device can project much of a beam; how small a point can you shoot, and can you shoot different size circles?

I spent 3 weeks in Lembeh Strait in January 2020 for an underwater photography workshop, and this was the “snoot of choice” for the participants. It worked really well and seemed to have enough power to project a beam and the size of the circles was adjustable. However, for me, I am still suffering from PTSD from trying to use it. Without disconnecting it from the camera and having a second person hold it while you set up the shot, I found it virtually impossible to use . . . More a function of the snoot in general rather than this one in particular. When lined up correctly, you can get stellar shots with it. I could never get it aimed correctly and still have the subject wait patiently for me to get it ready. Snoots are great . . . But more than I can deal with.

I have tried this snoot setup a couple of times.
I seem to not be able to get the snoot in any reasonable position.
Love the flash though

Back
Top Bottom