Info Backscatter Hybrid Flash HF-01: preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just ordered a set of these. I guess my z330s will get demoted to backup status and my z240s might finally get offered to a new home.

I am hoping to have them in time for the North Carolina Wreck Shark Shootout, July 8-13.

It would be even better if I got them and the Sony TTL trigger by then, but it sounds like the trigger is definitely not going to be available by then and I might not even get the strobes themselves in time.

10 fps and solid TTL control should really improve my # of keepers on the shark photos.

Fingers crossed!

I have just ordered a set of these. I guess my z330s will get demoted to backup status and my z240s might finally get offered to a new home.

I am hoping to have them in time for the North Carolina Wreck Shark Shootout, July 8-13.

It would be even better if I got them and the Sony TTL trigger by then, but it sounds like the trigger is definitely not going to be available by then and I might not even get the strobes themselves in time.

10 fps and solid TTL control should really improve my # of keepers on the shark photos.

Fingers crossed!

Out of curiosity, what trigger will you be using?

Out of curiosity, what trigger will you be using?

My current UW Technics trigger, until the Backscatter Sony trigger is available. Just no TTL, for now.

My current UW Technics trigger, until the Backscatter Sony trigger is available. Just no TTL, for now.
Okay, thanks. Those do look like nice strobes. I hope they do well for you.

My UWT trigger has sTTL but it just does not work consistently in any flash mode or board setting (0-9) . A big and expensive disappointment. I hope newer triggers are more solid.

Okay, thanks. Those do look like nice strobes. I hope they do well for you.

My UWT trigger has sTTL but it just does not work consistently in any flash mode or board setting (0-9) . A big and expensive disappointment. I hope newer triggers are more solid.

Ditto. I have tried using TTL on my UWT a few times in the past and never could seem to get it to work right for me. So, I have stuck with Manual on the strobes and full Manual on the camera and done okay.

In this case, I have to say I am very optimistic that Backscatter has really actually tested/used their new trigger, with actual Sony cameras and their strobes, to come out with something that actually works. :)

And that I can get real support if I have trouble with them. I always felt like I had trouble, including a possible language barrier, with getting support for my UWT trigger.

I shall certainly report on my experiences, once I have some. :D

One other thought about these. For @Backscatter::Jim, but mentioning here so the rest of you can chime in agree or disagree.

These strobes take 2 x 21700 batteries each. So, normal daily usage means charging 4 strobe batteries every night.

Backscatter is not offering a 4-bay charger. Because of that, I ordered batteries with my strobes, but no charger.

I have now ordered separately a 4-bay charger that can do 4 x 21700 at a time. An Xtar VC4SL.

I really would have rather ordered 4 x batteries AND a 4-bay charger from Backscatter along with the rest of my order.

And, before somebody chimes in with "I'd rather have 2 x 2-bay, in case one dies during a trip", let me add this:

I've been changing over my cordless lights to ones that use 21700 batteries, too. My normal daily process needs to accommodate possibly charging 4 x 21700 for these strobes and at least one additional 21700 for a light. And, there is always the chance a strobe itself will die and I will fall back to my z330s, which use 8 x AA batteries.

So, on a big trip, I would be inclined to carry 2 x 4-bay chargers. On trips up to now, I have been taking a Gyrfalcon 8-bay charger and also an Xtar 4-bay. Unfortunately, the chargers I have won't accommodate the length of a 21700.

Having 2 x 4-bays that will work for 21700s will let me charge all my normal stuff at one time and give the redundancy for a charger OR a strobe failure. And, yes, I will need to order a second charger to achieve that. But, I'm going to wait until I have the first charger and the strobes and make sure everything really plays nicely together first.

TL;DR Backscatter, please add a 4-bay 21700 charger to your offerings! :D

One other thought about these. For @Backscatter::Jim, but mentioning here so the rest of you can chime in agree or disagree.

These strobes take 2 x 21700 batteries each. So, normal daily usage means charging 4 strobe batteries every night.

Backscatter is not offering a 4-bay charger. Because of that, I ordered batteries with my strobes, but no charger.

I have now ordered separately a 4-bay charger that can do 4 x 21700 at a time. An Xtar VC4SL.

I really would have rather ordered 4 x batteries AND a 4-bay charger from Backscatter along with the rest of my order.

And, before somebody chimes in with "I'd rather have 2 x 2-bay, in case one dies during a trip", let me add this:

I've been changing over my cordless lights to ones that use 21700 batteries, too. My normal daily process needs to accommodate possibly charging 4 x 21700 for these strobes and at least one additional 21700 for a light. And, there is always the chance a strobe itself will die and I will fall back to my z330s, which use 8 x AA batteries.

So, on a big trip, I would be inclined to carry 2 x 4-bay chargers. On trips up to now, I have been taking a Gyrfalcon 8-bay charger and also an Xtar 4-bay. Unfortunately, the chargers I have won't accommodate the length of a 21700.

Having 2 x 4-bays that will work for 21700s will let me charge all my normal stuff at one time and give the redundancy for a charger OR a strobe failure. And, yes, I will need to order a second charger to achieve that. But, I'm going to wait until I have the first charger and the strobes and make sure everything really plays nicely together first.

TL;DR Backscatter, please add a 4-bay 21700 charger to your offerings! :D

Agree but I'll make it 3 4-bay chargers. I'll also have 3 sets of batteries for each strobe at least. It is VERY difficult to ship batteries these days and it will make much more sense for me to buy 3 to 4 times what what I need today in one single shipment when I have a shipment for batteries.

Agree but I'll make it 3 4-bay chargers. I'll also have 3 sets of batteries for each strobe at least. It is VERY difficult to ship batteries these days and it will make much more sense for me to buy 3 to 4 times what what I need today in one single shipment when I have a shipment for batteries.

I guess if you use the strobes on High in Video mode, you might actually need 3 sets of batteries in one day....

An 8-bay charger that can do 21700s would also be of potential interest. Xtar does make one. Not sure if Nitecore does, too. Probably, but I didn't look.

You would plan to get the Backscatter TTL trigger for Olympus when it's available?

I guess if you use the strobes on High in Video mode, you might actually need 3 sets of batteries in one day....

An 8-bay charger that can do 21700s would also be of potential interest. Xtar does make one. Not sure if Nitecore does, too. Probably, but I didn't look.

I am accounting for stuff crappping out, flooding, etc. It isn't easy for me to order stuff from the US and pay for it with CC or any other type of payment here in Libya. Shipping batteries is a huge nightmare too.

You would plan to get the Backscatter TTL trigger for Olympus when it's available?

Not sure about TTL. I have been using manual for the last 20 years. TTL never been good to me but I am open for suggestions and/or experimenting when the time comes.

Not sure about TTL. I have been using manual for the last 20 years. TTL never been good to me but I am open for suggestions and/or experimenting when the time comes.

I am ... hopeful.

I have many photos of sharks where my strobe power was set well for the shark to be 6 - 8 feet away from me. Then I get lucky and instead of veering off, I have one that swims within 1 - 2 feet of the camera. And I end up with it being blown out because my strobes were set too bright for such a close distance.

If I can use TTL to solve that problem, it will be fantastic.

Of course, it will be dependent on the camera, too. The camera will need to have some suitable metering mode to work worth a crap.

My Sony has a Spot metering mode. And it has an option to lock metering to the focus spot.

I think that means I should be able to lock focus on a shark's eye (for example) and let the camera track focus as the shark moves towards me, then meter the shark's eye and give me a strobe flash that results in a good exposure on the area of the shark's eye, no matter what distance it is (presuming within strobe range, of course).

I speculate that other cameras might not have exactly the same options for metering. If not that or something similar, TTL might not be as useful.

Back
Top Bottom