Info Backscatter Hybrid Flash HF-01: preliminary review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

u cannot use the 21700 from the MF on these strobe as they require much higher output current
I fully agree that the "XTAR" batteries recommended initially by Backscatter should (probably) not be used with the HF-1...
At present, however, Backscatter recommends the Nitcore NL2153HP to use for both HF-1 and MF-2 flashes: Backscatter Mini Flash 2 Underwater Strobe MF-2

Wolfgang

Similar to others here, I had some money itching in the pocket, could not withstand GAS and hence have ordered two HF-1... :narcosis:
(I think, if durable they will do a good job with the 4500K and 5500K diffusers)

Wolfgang

u cannot use the 21700 from the MF on these strobe as they require much higher output current
I fully agree that the "XTAR" batteries recommended initially by Backscatter should (probably) not be used with the HF-1...
At present, however, Backscatter recommends the Nitcore NL2153HP to use for both HF-1 and MF-2 flashes: Backscatter Mini Flash 2 Underwater Strobe MF-2

@hellhole @WS007 :
I must have missed the conversation on 21700. What's the concern about XTAR versus Nitecore batteries? Backscatter recommend the Nitecore. I ordered the HF-1 through Reefphoto and they have XTAR batteries on their accessories list.

update: Reefphoto says they have Nitecores in stock, and aren't getting XTARs for now.

Cheers,
Craig
Waipahu, HI
@hawaiianeye797

@hellhole @WS007 :
I must have missed the conversation on 21700. What's the concern about XTAR versus Nitecore batteries? Backscatter recommend the Nitecore. I ordered the HF-1 through Reefphoto and they have XTAR batteries on their accessories list.

update: Reefphoto says they have Nitecores in stock, and aren't getting XTARs for now.

Cheers,
Craig
Waipahu, HI
@hawaiianeye797

I assume (but cannot tell for sure) that it is the maximum current that the battery can deliver (The Nitcore is built to deliver up to 20 A without problems, what is exceptionally high for such a battery). The XTAR may become very hot or even start to burn, when inserted into HF-1. But an electricity expert is certainly able to explain the issue better...

Anyhow Li+ batteries (is it in electronic equipment or in cars) have a bad reputation for being dangerous, I think it is not a good idea do start experimentation with different brands that may save few $ per battery (we are in a hobby that costs k$/year)...

Wolfgang

I assume (but cannot tell for sure) that it is the maximum current that the battery can deliver (The Nitcore is built to deliver up to 20 A without problems, what is exceptionally high for such a battery). The XTAR may become very hot or even start to burn, when inserted into HF-1. But an electricity expert is certainly able to explain the issue better.

Just want to clear up the battery debate. The Hybrid Flash requires 21700 batteries with at least 15A current. Currently Nitecore has 5300 and 6000mah batteries with a 20A draw, which is what we recommend and the only batteries we approve right now for the Hybrid Flash. The Xtar 21700 batteries only have a 10A draw which is fine for the Mini Flash 2 and Macro Wide 4300 video light. The Xtar batteries internal protection circuitry will shut down the battery when drawing more than 10A current. This will happen immediately when turning on the flash as it starts to charge the capacitors. The protection circuit prevents over discharge, and this is why you should always use protected Li-ion batteries in consumer devices! :thumb:

Currently Nitecore has 5300 and 6000mah batteries with a 20A draw, which is what we recommend and the only batteries we approve

Are you saying that we can use the 6000mah batteries in the HF-01 without any issues?

Are there any benefits to using the 6000mah batteries over the 5300 one?

Are you saying that we can use the 6000mah batteries in the HF-01 without any issues?

Are there any benefits to using the 6000mah batteries over the 5300 one?
The 6000mah batteries are relatively new so we are testing them right now. The 6000mah have more capacity which would mean longer run time. That is what we are testing.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions, happy to try and answer!

The 6000mah batteries are relatively new so we are testing them right now. The 6000mah have more capacity which would mean longer run time. That is what we are testing.

Can't wait to see the results of your testing.

Thank you for your time and help here 🙂

Let me know if you guys have any more questions, happy to try and answer!
thanks! i think my friend email you guys asking about it!!

i do have a question about the sony TTL circuit... how is that coming along? will it be available soon?
question from my canon friends... how about the canons... :)

thanks! i think my friend email you guys asking about it!!

i do have a question about the sony TTL circuit... how is that coming along? will it be available soon?
question from my canon friends... how about the canons... :)
I have been testing Sony TTL in the field for quite a while. It works great for those scenarios where TTL works. At this point it's just the manufacturing process for the Sony TTL trigger. I anticipate it coming out sometime this summer. Canon will have to wait a little while longer... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom