Question Backscatter GoPro Sharp Wide Lens Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone had an opportunity to try out the Backscatter GoPro Sharp Wide Lens Pro?

Back in the days when I used to dive with a DSLR inside a housing with a rectilinear wide angle lens behind a dome port, my favorite shots were CFWA (close focus wide angle).

I am curious if the Sharp Wide Lens Pro would get close to that image quality at what would be a fraction of the price?

I realize one difference out of the gate is that the Sharp Wide Lens Pro would be a fish eye as opposed to rectilinear lens but I am ok with that.

Here's a link to the product...

I absolutely love my lens. It really allows more light in. Additionally I love the way it connects to the GoPro housing, with a slot to put in filters. The lens comes with a dummy cord. So burping it when you start the dive is super easy. The provided a nice cover for it. I did not use it one dive and it got a scratch. I called backscatter and the told me there is an a film over the acrillic. So they would have to replace that outer lens. Haven’t sent it in yet, but the claim $100 and a quick turnaround.

I do more video than stills. So here is a screenshot of one video. I can provide more if you would like.

Attachments

• GPTempDownload.jpeg
    GPTempDownload.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the response.

That's a bummer about the scratch on the lens.

Did that happen during the dive or in the camera bucket?

I thought that entire lens was glass so I'm a little surprised to hear it got scratched.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone had an opportunity to compare this lens with the much more expensive Inon UFL-G140 SD?

Thanks for the response.

That's a bummer about the scratch on the lens.

Did that happen during the dive or in the camera bucket?

I thought that entire lens was glass so I'm a little surprised to hear it got scratched.
Actually I was not clear (pun intended). I put the camera in the bucket, someone too it out and put it lens down on the table. I know, I know. As pissed as I was, I just had to trust backscatter would help me out. One call and they were so nice and helpful. I just need to mail it into them. From now on I will have full control of my camera. Screw the bucket. I’ll clean it myself back on shore.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone had an opportunity to compare this lens with the much more expensive Inon UFL-G140 SD?
The lens I am referring to is this 140 lens. Super package deal. I am very impressed with the results.

I absolutely love my lens. It really allows more light in. Additionally I love the way it connects to the GoPro housing, with a slot to put in filters. The lens comes with a dummy cord. So burping it when you start the dive is super easy. The provided a nice cover for it. I did not use it one dive and it got a scratch. I called backscatter and the told me there is an a film over the acrillic. So they would have to replace that outer lens. Haven’t sent it in yet, but the claim $100 and a quick turnaround.

I do more video than stills. So here is a screenshot of one video. I can provide more if you would like.

Absolutely correct about burping the lens. Here is one of my first clips with the lens. I took the filter out for the next clip and saw the water bubbles. This was the only “ruined” clip. I remembered to burp it each time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom