Backscatter flat lens case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I know is from the ending titles of the video. Gopro Hero2, backscatter gopro housing, auto-magic red filter.

I personal cant wait to get one. I went to a scuba shop that has the lights Im looking at and it just all seemed to come together. Cant wait!!!

Hah! Backscatter was at the My World Underwater show this weekend, and they had several their, and some additional footage. The magic filter is the red filter, its on a blank that is held in place by rubber oring/band (also has tether tie off) as its a wet filter system. You can also screw in any 55 mm filter (red, polarizing etc) into the fitting. Looked quite nice. They said the current shipment is already sold out but they are suppose to get another bunch in this coming week. The extended clip that we saw on vimeo looked amazing. Now I'm really torn.

nice! did you take any photos of it? from what i see on backscatter there looks to be 3 different photos for the same case.

No I didn't take any pictures, but it looked exactly like it does on the website. The red filter is a 'blank', not in a screw in 55 mm format. Its held in place by the 2 rubber orings (at top and bottom). Or you can screw in any 55 mm filter, like the blurfix, but they recommend using the low profile one's too to prevent vignetting (-2 spelling).

This is a nice design very similar to the Blurfix but I just don't like the single piece of flat glass that is protecting your gopro from the water. Even though it looks thicker then the filters Ive used with no issues to a depth of 40m with a blurfix I think at depth any accidental bump onto a hard object could cause this to fail.

Thats where the very strong round gopro lens is a big bonus in my eyes, you most likely wont have a failure but if you do this will save the camera as it keeps the flat lens fix independent to the housings waterproof rating.

The wet filter option is a plus on this design though and it will be interesting to see how it performs once a few people get them in their hands.

It will be interesting to see if this does become an issue or not with this design as now there is a bit of competition in the market between this the Blurfix and the soon to come gopro version which all should do the focus job well. I don't like the look of the square gopro one much though and prefer the more traditional round lens design of the backscatter and Blurfix which both allow other 55mm filters to be used for land use.

okay.... we drank the koolaid today. I should have mine within a week or so, and will definitely take it on a test run a few times before our Cozumel trip coming up in 5 weeks. :banana:

Sweet. The video I saw at My World Underwater and the little bit you can find on the web showed fantastic clarity and color. Per their website they said their red filter was custom designed for the GoPro's unique white balancing etc etc. All I know is the video looked great. Maybe I'll have to get one of these eventually too so I can compare and contrast with the Blurfix myself. Though I don't dive enough to really need both. :(

I have the GoProHD with the EoM housing, and the video is sharp, but blue (at any significant depth). Fun, but I would like more natural and real color for an upcoming Indonesia trip. New to underwater video, pretty clueless in fact, but I know that I will never have time to correct with software.

Looking at the Backscatter housing with the "red magic" filter. Would this be better/equivalent to cyan? Better option? I would love any opinions or experience you might have.

Anyone want a good deal on an EoM?
icosm14.gif

Thanks,

Bill​

I haven't tried the Magic filter but from what I heard only URpro and Magic filter make filters specifically for under water use. All others ive seen are just basic colour filters which don't work as well.

Magic filter have a green water and blue water filter so these would be similar to a URpro cyan filter for blue water and URpro GR filter for green water.
I don't know if the magic filters are glass or plastic though but the URpro ones I have are all glass which I prefer over plastic that can scratch much easier and will degrade over time.

A side by side comparison would be interesting between the 2 brands.

EDIT: taking a look at the backscatter filter it just looks like a basic plastic sheet in 55mm size so it wouldnt be too hard to use this in a Blurfix on the inside or outside of the clear filter, except you would have to trim the parts extending out a little bit to fit inside the filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom