Backplates and cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone on this board regularly dive with a backplates and wings, while using a camera? I took out my Nikonos for the first time with my backplate this weekend - talk about learning to walk again. My backplate is steel, I dive a steel tank, and I only need 10 pounds on my waist to be trimmed level with a 7mm wetsuit. Add a camera and strobes to one end, and I spent most of the dive with my butt higher than my head, struggling to maintain position.

I was thinking about using an aluminum tank and another 8 pounds or so on my waist to move my center of gravity lower down my back, hoping that the camera will offset this and not cause me to go head-down while carrying/using it. Anyone got any suggestions for using a camera with a backplate? Another BC just for photography is currently out of the question - plus I'm convinced it's something that can be addressed with trim adjustment.

Ben

As a side note, if it matters to you, it is generally considered unsafe by those in the DIR camp to dive steel wet.

I use a BP and camera. My camera is slightly negative but has no effect on my trim and buoyancy.

I would switch to AL tanks

I haven't noticed a problem with mine. I dive a SS 6# BP and steel HP80 tanks and use no weights. My Oly rig is slightly negative. That said, I've only been in the local lake, mostly in the shallows, with my camera since I switched to a BP/wing. This weekend will be the test in salt water with it. I'll let ya know!

I had a Nikonos V with macro tube, and two Ikelite 50's on Ikelite arms. I felt like I was holding a 5 pound weight in my arms. I'm seriously considering dumping one strobe, which will also let me get rid of the tray, and just using a single strobe for macro, which is what most of my photography will be until I can justify buying a digital setup. Plus I can sell the other strobe and bits and pieces and put that into the drysuit fund :)

Let me know how your salt water dive goes - I was in 26' of salt in no current hovering around a yacht wreck snapping pics of strawberry anemones and stuff.

bengiddins once bubbled...
I had a Nikonos V with macro tube, and two Ikelite 50's on Ikelite arms. I felt like I was holding a 5 pound weight in my arms. I'm seriously considering dumping one strobe, which will also let me get rid of the tray, and just using a single strobe for macro, which is what most of my photography will be until I can justify buying a digital setup. Plus I can sell the other strobe and bits and pieces and put that into the drysuit fund :)

Let me know how your salt water dive goes - I was in 26' of salt in no current hovering around a yacht wreck snapping pics of strawberry anemones and stuff.

One of my reasons for going digital was the size aspect of it. My old S&S MMII set-up with dual strobes, extra lenses/framers, etc. was getting to be a hassle to carry around. Now I can handle the whole thing, strobe included, with one hand if needed. I doubt I'll ever add a second strobe, no matter what the photographic advantages are!

Don't know if this helps?

I knew a guy who fixed the floats (2 off) from a toilet stopcock to his camera gear as it was so heavy, he reckons it made it a lot lighter!

worth a go :)

ChrisM once bubbled...
As a side note, if it matters to you, it is generally considered unsafe by those in the DIR camp to dive steel wet.

I thought this was just when diving steel doubles in a wetsuit that it was frwoned upon, unless you were diving in fresh water where you can either swim the weight up or crawl out like you can do in the springs.

I didn't think that it wasn't DIR to dive a single steel tank in a wetsuit if you still had ditchable weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom