Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have heard that DIR dictates that a backplate must be stainless steel? Is this so?

it is not true, it is either ss or al

I am assuming that DIR maintains that there is reliable data that concludes that aluminium is significantly tougher and more durable than plastic for a backpack then.

Boogie711:
That's not what you asked. You just asked if it had to be SS.

But yes - I don't think anyone would deny that Aluminum is more durable than plastic, correct.

You are quite correct. The second question was merely an addendum to the first answer. Thanks.

But I wonder just how durable and tough plastic has to be?

Umm - "more durable and tougher than aluminum" is the logical answer now, isn't it?

Especially when Aluminum backplates are so relatively inexpensive in the first place. I don't really see why plastic is even on the table.

Because aluminum tables are so cold and uninviting.

Compared to the warmth of plastic of course!

Kimber

diverkim:
But I wonder just how durable and tough plastic has to be?

A buddy of mine once got on the boat trying to figure out what was wrong with his rig. The ABS plate had broken through at one bolt point, and was almost gone on the other bolt point. He was probably about 1/2 inch from the whole thing falling apart on him.

After seeing that, there's no chance in hell you're gonna see me in an ABS backplate.

Spectre:
A buddy of mine once got on the boat trying to figure out what was wrong with his rig. The ABS plate had broken through at one bolt point, and was almost gone on the other bolt point. He was probably about 1/2 inch from the whole thing falling apart on him.

I've heard of others that have had similar (maybe not as extreme) incidents happen to them. You can get an AL plate so cheap, why even bother.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom