Backplate in a 2009 Ranger LTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Julian55

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can I put a SS backplate in the 2009 Ranger LTD? If so is it easy to do?

Yes you can. According to Zeagle it is one of two options for using the Ranger to mount doubles. To do this you will utilize the the two grommets which are located at the top and bottom under the backpad. The backplate will line up on the inside and then you use standard rod bolts to attach your doubles. The other alternative is to use the small v-stabilizers that Zeagle and Dive Rite sell. This option also will help to stablize the doubles. If you aren't mounting doubles, I would have to ask why you were looking to use the backplate? I used a Zeagle Ranger LTD for years and loved it, but I have recently moved to a BP/W setup and am extremely happy. I hope this helps.

well I dive in very cold water, I use a fair bit of weight with my drysuit so a 6pound backplate would help, I would still be using single tanks. To be honest I was looking at a Dive Rite Transpac, but I could not find a dealer up here in Canada that actually stocked them so I could see it or size it. I rented a Halcyon backplate and wing a few weeks back to try it, I hated that it was difficult to get in and out of, I also did not like that it felt like it was loose on me under the water, But it was very streamline compared to what I have now. The Ranger offered me the comfort that I like but is also quite streamline for a standard rear inflate BC. Everything I have bought to date has been to make diving more comfortable for me, why change to get a backplate and wing?

Yes, you can do it...but if your main purpose is adding 6 lbs of weight, I think there are a few more cost effective ways to do it.

Let me know if you need further help and I will be glad to!

Scott

well I dive in very cold water, I use a fair bit of weight with my drysuit so a 6pound backplate would help, I would still be using single tanks. To be honest I was looking at a Dive Rite Transpac, but I could not find a dealer up here in Canada that actually stocked them so I could see it or size it. I rented a Halcyon backplate and wing a few weeks back to try it, I hated that it was difficult to get in and out of, I also did not like that it felt like it was loose on me under the water, But it was very streamline compared to what I have now. The Ranger offered me the comfort that I like but is also quite streamline for a standard rear inflate BC. Everything I have bought to date has been to make diving more comfortable for me, why change to get a backplate and wing?

When I went to the BP/W setup I was trying to follow the HOG setup as much as possible. If you like the easy of entry and such of the Ranger, but are interested in a BP setup, both Zeagle and Dive Rite offer BP harnesses that have padded sholders along with quick releases. This essentially gives you the same type of shoulder straps as your Ranger, but they attach directly to the BP. One other thing of note is that when I was using my Ranger LTD with drysuit and appropriate Unders for 35F water, I needed about 38 lbs of lead. In my BP/W setup I have cut that down by 10 lbs due to the smaller profile of the rig. I hope this helps and check out DiveRite and Zeagle's websites for all the different options that are out there.

I've wondered about the switch to a BP/W set-up also. I dive with the Zeagle Tech. Usual set-up is a 104 cf steel single, 30 cf pony, 13 cf Argon for the suit and a cannister light that I place in a "weight pocket on the back and 24 lbs of weight. I don't use the front pockets on the Tech and have thought of using the DUI weight/trim system. Does anyone have some advice or thoughts on whether it would be worth the trouble switching to the BP/W from the current rig?

Back
Top Bottom