Backplate Harnesses: Which one and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question for Bob and the other instructors doing rescue classes with students in 1 piece harness rigs - I'm planning on taking my rescue class in May with my regular dive buddy - since I use a 1 piece harness I was planning on taking some scraps and sewing them together to make a 1 piece that he would not be afraid of cutting off me in the class (for that segment of the class - I'll just put it on another plate) would something like this work for a regular class session also? Just cut, then sew back together again for the next class (obviously not intended for diving with, just demos) or is this not a practical idea?
Just thinking out loud since it came up earlier in this thread...

Aloha, Tim

It would probably work Tim, but I've never actually tried it ... I just use the most worn-out harness in my inventory and replace it with new webbing after the class. Also, remember that the sewn ends will still have to feed through your BP slots to put the harness back together.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob,

My one plate is from abyss and it's got extra large slots in it (even the keepers slide through so I have to double them up)

Aloha, Tim

NWGratefulDiver:
It would probably work Tim, but I've never actually tried it ... I just use the most worn-out harness in my inventory and replace it with new webbing after the class. Also, remember that the sewn ends will still have to feed through your BP slots to put the harness back together.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use a Hammerhead II backplate and harness...For $99 you get a SS backplate and either a 1-piece or two-piece Sta... For $145 you get 15ft of harness included with d-rings and everything else! Can't beat that price and the quality is great. The harness is your standard 2inch webbing in black.

http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/

I've owned and used everything from the OMS IQ, Dive Rite Trans Pac II, Halcyon, Koplin and currently a Hammerhead SS BP, STA, and Harness Kit.

Of all of them - I am convinced the best way to go is the 1-pc webbing harness and forgo the OMS IQ and Dive Rite Trans Pac II. I found no advantage to the addition of Fastex buckles - only adding complexity, cost, and a potential 'failure' point or something to break at the most unopportune time!

I found I didn't NEED all that adjustability of adj shoulder straps, sternum strap, etc. A simple, low cost, easy to replace 1-pc harness will never break, will last for years, can be adjusted as you grow (or gain weight/size) and/or be inexpensively replaced for a mere $10 or so. Yea, it takes awhile to set up and adjust - but once its done its done. Its easy to get in/out of and is TRULY customizable to YOU!

In the long run you'll save time, money, and frustration - just go the simple BP and Wing.

Easy to change from singles to doubles with he same BP.

Its SO simple - is the reason why many (incl me) thought 'it just can't work.' Fact is - it works and it works well!

Look at pics of every major tech diver from the Doria, etc. What you'll see is BP's and Wings.

I just want to thank everyone for their input. About two weeks ago, I got to dive my new BP and (borrowed) pioneer 36lb wing and totally love it. I have the single continuous webbing and find that it's not as difficult (as I thought) to don/doff the rig.

Now I'm looking for a used single tank wing to go with it. Anyone have a spare they want to get rid of? I'm looking for the donut-style made by either Halcyon or OMS in the 30-45lb range.

Thanks again,

Ericson

Hi there scubajunkee,

I saw some previous sales of Halcyon pioneer 30-40 lbs wings go as high as $250 or even higher on Ebay, at those prices, get yourself a Oxycheq signature wing at about $285 or so, with an outer shell it's a great buy.

Cheers,

SangP

Sadly, Halcyon is pretty pricey with good alternatives available such as Oxy Cheq, OMS, and Agir Sweden all making nice wings at less cost.

I just bought an Oxycheq Signature Series 45# single tank wing from www.covci.com last week for $305. I don't think you'll find anything of comparable quality at any lower price (new). I used it this past weekend and loved it.

Randy

scubajunkee:
I just want to thank everyone for their input. About two weeks ago, I got to dive my new BP and (borrowed) pioneer 36lb wing and totally love it. I have the single continuous webbing and find that it's not as difficult (as I thought) to don/doff the rig.

Now I'm looking for a used single tank wing to go with it. Anyone have a spare they want to get rid of? I'm looking for the donut-style made by either Halcyon or OMS in the 30-45lb range.

Thanks again,

Ericson
Good call ScubaJunkie that is what i have and omg it is insanly better than the old silohutte, i used, it don't ride up at all and it is realy comfortable. I don't find it to hard to get out of and in an emergancy knife right?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom