backplate/harness query ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blargh

Contributor
Reaction score
'lo all

I wonder if anyone can provide an opinion regarding backplate choice - steel vs aluminum ?

FWIW, I've heard that here in the UK the vast majority of tanks are steel. Assuming that I wont be jumping into dual tanks anywhere soon (hehe), and a DIR-ish setup with a dry suit, what kind of plate/wing would be the 'recommended' one ?

On a separate note (sorry) - would it be a good idea to use two TX50 second stages, or a TX50 + TX40 ? why ?

Tia...
Blargh - a really worn out by kit planning newbie :)

Hi "Blargh",

the key to "al .vs. steel" is a balanced rig and you really
do need to examine ALL of your "kit" in order to determine
what is best.

generally, if you are diving dry a steel plate will be
fine. then again, if adding a steel plate to your tanks,
etc results in too much negative bouyancy an Al plate
might be best. a good friend of mine uses Al plate with
a single steel tank and loves it.

beware of ABS though, it IS breakable.

On the TX50/TX40 part of the question, when I bought the backup for my TX100 I bought a TX50 second stage. The TX100 and TX50 second stage are the just about the same except for faceplate and for some reason the store could not order the TX100 second. I did it so that I would be breathing off of the same piece of equipment if I needed to at some point. The TX50 second stage can also be "detuned" with the knob so that it does not freeflow as easily. I have never taken a scooter ride, so I can't verify that it won't in that situation.

JoelW

That's part of my problem .... I have no kit....

Which, on hand, is good - plenty of choice :)
And on the other is bad - too much choice :/

Here's my experience.

I'm a newly certified diver. My equipment consists of a Halcyon SS backplate, pioneer wings, Apeks TX50/40.

When diving in warm water w/ a 3 mil shorty & AL80, I have found the SS backplate to be too heavy. I was using 6 lb as a keel weight, and it left only 2lbs to ditch (which I felt wasnt enough). I have recently purchased an Aluminum BP from FredT in order to put the extra 5 lb or so in my belt.

I'll use the SS backplate when I go drysuit diving (which is common in Michigan).

No experience w/ steel tanks yet.

Hope this helps.

BTW, the Apeks regs are wonderful.

detroit diver

How do you like Fred's plate? I have recieved my SS and am very happy with it. I will be purchasing an AL plate for warm water diving for the same reason as you.

Actually, it should arrive today or tomorrow! I'll let you know what it looks like when I get it, if that means anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom