backplate fitting question, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1amphibian:
Being new to diving (again after not diving for many years) and having made the decision to go with bp/w. I have a question

Backplates come in different sizes for different reasons from what I have seen so far. So my question is this. Where should the lower edge of the backplate sit on the divers back?

The reason I ask is this, my gf is a very small woman and upon her trying on a standard sized backplate, the lower edge rested on the top portion of her butt, just below the hipbone. Is this going to be a problem for her and will she need one of the shorter plates made? Or is this a non issue and we don't need to worry about it?

HELP please....

Chris

FWIW, MacKay in his book suggests you position the backplate so that the top of it is just under the large vertebra at the base of the neck. I would also consider the following: ability to reach your valve(s), ability to look up while horizontal without being blocked by or hitting your head on your first stage or manifold isolator knob, and impact of the backplate on your trim.

Were going to see how it works with a regular plate, and if it is too big, I'll get one of the smaller ones. Then take the now spare plate and rig it for my daughter who will be getting certified in a few months.

Thanks you all for the help.

cool_hardware52:
I respectfuly disagree. If the backplate is to long (tall) on a shorter torso, it can be difficult for the diver to arch their back.

If the Backplate is too short on a tall person the waist strap will ride too high on the rib cage making full breaths uncomfortable.

If you've never tried other sizes you might not know what you are missing.

Tobin

I am torn on how to respond to this since most of your responses are pretty good. At the same time, you sell all sorts of strokery associated with your plates. (Not condeming that. If people want it I don't blame you for selling it.) The problem with different sized plates is it cascades into other problems. The size of the plate which dictates where valves sit also sets the recommended lengths for the HP hose, etc. Change this one thing, and you start creating the need to destandardized all sorts of other things too - the path to personal preference. That is fine, but it is not a DIR answer. I can honestly say I have never heard anyone complain about standard sized plate comfort in the water. I hear all sorts of griping above water but that is universal regardless of size. (The relative weight is just more onerous on smaller people.)

The DIR hose lengths for the backup and SPG depend on the person's size and reg(s). This is both common sense as well as something advocated by at least some (if not all) GUE instructors. For example, 22" LP hose for the backup was too short for me with a Dive-Rite RG2500 on the left post. I could not comfortably turn my head all the way to the left with backup in mouth. With a Scubapro reg it would probably have been fine, or on a single rig it might have worked. I use a 24" hose for the backup now.

RTodd:
I am torn on how to respond to this since most of your responses are pretty good. At the same time, you sell all sorts of strokery associated with your plates.

Other than offering an adjustable harness what exactly are you calling "strokery" ?

RTodd:
The problem with different sized plates is it cascades into other problems. The size of the plate which dictates where valves sit also sets the recommended lengths for the HP hose, etc.

The distance from the left first stage to the d ring on the left hip does effect the lenght of the HP hose. Tank position, manifold, and choice of first stage all effect this required lenght. Is there a DIR dictated tank position, other than one that permits valve access and promotes horizontal trim?

Pressure Gauge Hose: Custom hose allows a diver to easily read the gauge after unclipping, but does not bow or dangle, thus avoiding excess drag.

The text in italics was taken directly from the GUE site.

RTodd:
Change this one thing, and you start creating the need to destandardized all sorts of other things too - the path to personal preference. That is fine, but it is not a DIR answer.

Is the harness your 4'11" wife uses adjusted the same as the one your 6'3" teammate uses?

RTodd:
I can honestly say I have never heard anyone complain about standard sized plate comfort in the water. I hear all sorts of griping above water but that is universal regardless of size. (The relative weight is just more onerous on smaller people.)

Again, if all you and your team are familiar with is the one size fits all approach, you, or your team mates may not know what they are missing.

Tobin

Why buy two plates when you can get the one that fits off the bat? The standard plate is to big for her get a DSS plate and be done with it. Just my 2 cents

Well she is thinking the same way you are, we are going to fit her for the small plate over at TAS..

Will report on it tomorrow.

Just waiting now for the small plates to arrive at TAS here in Tampa. Hopefully tomorrow as were wanting to dive Ginnie on Thursday.

I ended up calling Salvo to see if they had any small plates in stock, they did not but called Oxycheq to see if they had any, they were finishing up on a few and would ship them to them for us to pick up in High Springs on Thursday.

The backplate arrived exactly when they said it would, we rigged both sets of plates and wings and headed off to Ginnie for a couple of tanks worth. We literally had the place to ourselves as far as divers go (there were a few tubers and swimmers) but having the ballroom to yourself is really kinda nice. The small plate worked perfectly on her.

I am glad we decided to go with the small plate and not bother trying to fit her in a standard one.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom