backplate fitting question, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1amphibian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Being new to diving (again after not diving for many years) and having made the decision to go with bp/w. I have a question

Backplates come in different sizes for different reasons from what I have seen so far. So my question is this. Where should the lower edge of the backplate sit on the divers back?

The reason I ask is this, my gf is a very small woman and upon her trying on a standard sized backplate, the lower edge rested on the top portion of her butt, just below the hipbone. Is this going to be a problem for her and will she need one of the shorter plates made? Or is this a non issue and we don't need to worry about it?

HELP please....

Chris

1amphibian:
Being new to diving (again after not diving for many years) and having made the decision to go with bp/w. I have a question

Backplates come in different sizes for different reasons from what I have seen so far. So my question is this. Where should the lower edge of the backplate sit on the divers back?

The reason I ask is this, my gf is a very small woman and upon her trying on a standard sized backplate, the lower edge rested on the top portion of her butt, just below the hipbone. Is this going to be a problem for her and will she need one of the shorter plates made? Or is this a non issue and we don't need to worry about it?

HELP please....

Chris

Chris,

How tall is your GF?

If she's short a smaller plate will help. In my experience a flatter over all bend in the plate is often more comfortable for single tank use.

We stock small plates.

Regards,

Tobin

Generally, the more important issue is where the top of the backplate is in relation to your back. PM or e-mail Tobin at DSS. His company makes several sizes of backplates and he can point you in the right direction.

EDIT: Tobin beat me to it!

Darnit, somebody has a great website with how backplates ought to fit -- showing back and side views of people with large, medium and small plates, and where they hit the body, and how the straps should sit. I just can't remember whose site it was to give you the link. With luck, somebody else will know it.

1amphibian:

HELP please....

Chris

While I am sure there are, for lack of a better word, freaks on each side of the spectrum that need a custom plate, most people don't. You just need to get the harness set up correctly. My wife is 4'11", 95lbs and my regular cave teammate is 6'3 or so. I am in between the two. We all use the same backplate. Backplates aren't supposed to be comfy out of the water, they are supposed to do the best job possible in the water. Unless it is absolutely necessary you want a standard size plate for team unity. For instance, I have some friends from Mexico that will be diving with me at the end of the month. No need for them to carry plates all the way to Australia when they can use my wife's set.

TSandM:
Darnit, somebody has a great website with how backplates ought to fit -- showing back and side views of people with large, medium and small plates, and where they hit the body, and how the straps should sit. I just can't remember whose site it was to give you the link. With luck, somebody else will know it.
How about this: http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backplate_adjustment.html

RTodd:
While I am sure there are, for lack of a better word, freaks on each side of the spectrum that need a custom plate, most people don't. You just need to get the harness set up correctly. My wife is 4'11", 95lbs and my regular cave teammate is 6'3 or so. I am in between the two. We all use the same backplate. Backplates aren't supposed to be comfy out of the water, they are supposed to do the best job possible in the water. Unless it is absolutely necessary you want a standard size plate for team unity. For instance, I have some friends from Mexico that will be diving with me at the end of the month. No need for them to carry plates all the way to Australia when they can use my wife's set.

I respectfuly disagree. If the backplate is to long (tall) on a shorter torso, it can be difficult for the diver to arch their back.

If the Backplate is too short on a tall person the waist strap will ride too high on the rib cage making full breaths uncomfortable.

If you've never tried other sizes you might not know what you are missing.

Tobin

She is 4'11" and about 100 lbs, so RTodd, she is about the same size as your wife. Has she ever complained about comfort?

The pictures do make sense, however I'm also not totally sure if the plate was fitted to her (my gf) correctly since at the time I wasn't aware of how they should fit. She didn't get fully into the webbing or anything, just sort of cinched it.

Will see how things work with regular plate and if needed, will switch to a smaller plate if her comfort is compromised.

Appreciate all of the responses, this forum is proving to be truely informative.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom