Backplate and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use XS Scuba weight pockets mounted on the waist belt, back near the backplate. Each one can hold up to 5# weights. With a 6# SS plate and AL 80 tank I usually need 3-5 lbs per side, depending.

xs-scuba-single-weight-pocket.jpg

OMG!

You’re going to die!

Who dared give you such bad advice!

But, seriously unless you dive with people who like to use their ezecuts, you are way better off going with the adjustable quick release harness. While I am at it, I like adjustable harnesses because I can easily make mine drum tight. Heresy.

I have seen some purists saying if its not a one piece webbing you can't join the club or something like that....

If I needed to add 6lbs I'd like to put it where I need it and not just where it's convenient. Also the last place I want to carry 6lbs of lead is in my luggage while traveling.

If I'm traveling its probably someplace I can shed some insulation and would need less weight anyway.

I have seen some purists saying if its not a one piece webbing you can't join the club or something like that....
Some people are obsessed with failure modes. The early plastic buckles were a bit more fragile, you can drop a tank on a webbing harness and nothing breaks. Perhaps walking around with a few deco tanks clipped on exceeded the buckle. Regardless, for some it is the only way.

The Elite is a good harness, enjoy it. I like my harness a bit loose in the shoulders and I like to be able to wriggle around a bit underwater, helps me be neutral. Gear adjustment is such a personal think we really should have less opinions on what others do with theirs.

OMG!

You’re going to die!

Who dared give you such bad advice!

But, seriously unless you dive with people who like to use their ezecuts, you are way better off going with the adjustable quick release harness. While I am at it, I like adjustable harnesses because I can easily make mine drum tight. Heresy.

That’s not true. I have a one piece. Just last weekend I was doing some checkout dives in my BM twinset on a BP with a one piece: I have a plate slider on the right hand side, we did a buddy tow and gear removal drill at the end. My buddy undid my waist buckle, removed the retainer buckle and the long hose retainer and pulled the whole right hand side strap out of the plate to get me out of it. It wasn’t even that hard to rethread it in the water to put my gear back on.

Sorry I should have said I was thinking the Halcyon STA

You can pour a few pounds of lead shot into one of these, too: XS Scuba V Weight Pouch. I suspect it'll be sticking out too much if you squeeze in 7 lbs as advertised, but with 5-ish it should be OK.

That’s not true. I have a one piece. Just last weekend I was doing some checkout dives in my BM twinset on a BP with a one piece: I have a plate slider on the right hand side, we did a buddy tow and gear removal drill at the end. My buddy undid my waist buckle, removed the retainer buckle and the long hose retainer and pulled the whole right hand side strap out of the plate to get me out of it. It wasn’t even that hard to rethread it in the water to put my gear back on.
I can demonstrate removing and rekitting in around 30 seconds without having to unthread (other than crotch strap) or cut any webbing (weight harness underneath). Simply undo the waist band and slip it out of the crotch strap loop, slip the harness on the right side across my shoulder and down my arm (I have my drysuit hose connected on the left) give a sligfht wiggle and the rest of the kit slides off down my left arm. Putting it back on is just as easy.

I should note that I like my harness slightly loose (fist sized gap between harness and chest when setting up with a Tshirt on).

I use XS Scuba weight pockets mounted on the waist belt, back near the backplate. Each one can hold up to 5# weights. With a 6# SS plate and AL 80 tank I usually need 3-5 lbs per side, depending.

View attachment 608452
Has anyone tried the quick release variant of these pockets?

Has anyone tried the quick release variant of these pockets?

The one I have is the same as slow release only with a very big flap and even bulkier. If you're really after quick release, there are better options out there (though some aren't cheap).

Back
Top Bottom