Backpacking and Diving through Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
you're going to backpack, yet you have your own dive gear?

dive gear, plus all your other personal items to live by I would say is not easy to combine together and backpack around for an extended period.

just my 2 cents worth.

might consider renting gear unless you're going to be doing a LOT of diving.

My girlfriend and I are backpacking through central america, but we don't have a concise plan just yet, and would like some advice.

I know diving is not an activity that is easy on a backpacker's budget, so we're trying to put together an itinerary that gets us as much diving as possible, with as much variety. We have our own stuff(minus tanks and weights), are competent Rescue divers with several hundred dives between us.

We have a flight to Roatan first, where we're going to do a couple of dives with a few different companies and then likely pick one in order to do a divemaster internship. I've heard that this is one of the best values in diving and that Roatan or Utila are good places to see a lot of different types of dives.

We have been considering Yucatan, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, and Panama thus far, and are looking for value in diving. If people on this board have done this sort of traveling before or can suggest good deals/itineraries, please post here or PM me.

Thanks in advance.

I can say that Bocas del Toro is a backpacker's paradise. Several (at least a hald dozen) hostels, many budget hotels, and if you eat at the "locals" restaurants, you can eat great meals for under $3/meal. Probably 75% of our guests (divers, snorkelers, kayakers) are backpackers.

We have three dive shops in town, and all are good. All shops include gear in the price of their dive excursions. I can't speak for my competitors, but we have brand new ScubaPro gear, so if you head this way consider leaving your gear at home and just pack essentials (we charge $60 for a two tank dive, including all gear and only discount $5 if you have your own, so you are better off not hauling gear).

Check out BOCAS DEL TORO - Ecotourism in this Panama Caribbean region for more info on the area, or PM me with specific questions.

hmmm...we need to get a MOD to edit this thread. It appears this was messed up with the clock problem they had yesterday and the posts aren't in order. (My above post was post #2, a reply to the original. Not the first post.).

It sounds like you are traveling multiple locations and not hardcore backpacking. Which is good. You pack frugal obviously but, should be easy if you are flying and going directly to where you are staying with not a lot of walking.

Sounds like an amazing trip. I can only comment on Costa Rica and Belize. I found the Pacific side of Costa Rica/Playa Del Coco to be very cheap with 15$ rooms that included breakfast and were very clean. With Belize, between the main places to stay being Ambergris, Caye Caulker, and Placencia. I liked Caye Caulker the best. The diving seemed to be the best bang for its buck. You can find very decent/clean inexpensive places in all 3. Caye Caulker was the most laid back with a hippie atmosphere and no cars.

And one piece of advice. If you are staying anywhere that is not a resort and super inexpensive, check the room first.

I'm "backpacking" costa rica in a few days with dive gear. Do a lot of arm curls and back workouts and you'll be fine. Or dont move around as much. I did it in Thailand for 3 weeks about 4 years ago and had no problems! Used a small, tough as nails, ugly as hell rolling suitcase for the heavy stuff and a backpack for the rest (BC in the backpack, not much else!). Use airport lockers (or get creative) and store dive gear for inland trips.

Only thing that ever worries me is getting $1000's of dollars of gear stolen. The heavy stuff is usually the most expensive and is in the ugliest hardsided bag I could find at a thrift store, then I re and re'ed the handle and wheels. No fancy dive/camera bag the screams steal me!

Have fun!

Time to pack!

I'm "backpacking" costa rica in a few days with dive gear. Do a lot of arm curls and back workouts and you'll be fine. Or dont move around as much. I did it in Thailand for 3 weeks about 4 years ago and had no problems! Used a small, tough as nails, ugly as hell rolling suitcase for the heavy stuff and a backpack for the rest (BC in the backpack, not much else!). Use airport lockers (or get creative) and store dive gear for inland trips.

Only thing that ever worries me is getting $1000's of dollars of gear stolen. The heavy stuff is usually the most expensive and is in the ugliest hardsided bag I could find at a thrift store, then I re and re'ed the handle and wheels. No fancy dive/camera bag the screams steal me!

Have fun!

Time to pack!

Check with your renters and homeowner insurance. It may be covered.
Probably not full value but, better than nothing.

I leave the 13th... think it's too late to get coverage?

Bredman,

I think we've got similar styles. The only time I ever plan on purchasing or traveling with much gear is when I do the inevitable divemaster internship... because they want you to have your own gear. There are places that will provide gear - it'll cost you more of course, but not as much as buying the gear would.

Rental gear doesn't bother me or my girlfriend, at $0 - $15/day to rent it we have years to go before we "could have had our own gear".

If I were you, I would buy a computer for sure, that's a must, and maybe your reg/octo/spg. Mask, reg, octo, spg, 1st stage, and comp won't be cumbersome in your pack at all. In the Bay Islands getting some sufficient fins/BC/wetsuit shouldn't be difficult or expensive. Then sell them when you leave. Buying, & subsequently selling, cheap used gear would be more difficult in Playa del Carmen or Bocas del Toro. Easy in Cozumel, easy on Ambergris Caye, more difficult in Tulum or Caye Caulker.

I've been to most of the good backpacker dive spots in Central America - the notable exceptions being the Bay Islands, and the Corn Islands. I would say there's a %95 chance I'll do my DM in Roatan or Utila if I don't do it in Asia, it has the best combo of amenities, there's a reason Roatan & Utila pump out DM's & Instructors at such a furious place.

The diving in Playas del Coco is very good, the town is blah at best (and my standards are low! I was anything but charmed).

Bocas del Toro is loads of fun, great town, the diving is blah at best.

Caye Caulker is awesome, cheap and great diving, but island fever is a real concern when not diving - "laid back" is a double edged sword...

Ambergris Caye is great. San Pedro has a little piece of my heart, but it also has some of my wallet if you catch my drift. Worth considering for sure - the higher price tag is justified.

In Cozumel food & lodging is surprisingly cheap, regular diving is spendy but DM class isn't. Charming place with great people. The diving is fantastic. Cenotes are right next door, as is the modern world (has its advantages). Point is, don't rule it out because it seems expensive, a little money goes a long way there.

Nicaragua is dirt cheap, people are really nice, the Corns are a long way from everything and as such the price tag goes up, and you can't jaunt to somewhere else in a couple hours.

Costa Rica is fun, Tamarindo will have more going on that Playas del Coco, especially if you want to surf. Great diving, pretty cheap, CR is a weird place though... just has an odd vibe altogether.

Honduras is really enticing to me, islands, coast, & inland. Honduras, Guatemala, & Nicaragua are back a few decades from their neighbors - to me that makes them substantially more interesting and fun. Mega cheap.

Good luck,

I'm on the other end from you, I'm trying to figure out my Asia itinerary. If I can be of any help to you just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom