Back up to canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33:
I have never heard of anybody using another HID as a backup. If you are in an overhead environment a small backup light should be more than adequate to follow the guideline out . Your buddy should have an HID as well.

Of course,should you be soloing overhead environments with no guideline then you might need a spare HID..............

Hello Ianr33,

I solo dive “easy” shipwrecks with no penetration and also solo dive night lake shore dives. Since I already had the Light Cannon 100 I take it with, that said, when I buddy dive I just take the SL4 as a backup. It is nice to K.I.S.S. and keep it lightweight.

I will soon be selling the ligh cannon because the Metalsub XL7.2 Handheld light with 15 Watt LED head will be ready for shipment this week and after I get my first demo unit, I will dive with it as my backup. The 15 Watt LED head will be brighter that a 10 Watt HID, by about 200 Lumens and at the same 6000° K it will be awesome underwater. See the photo below:

XL7_2.JPG

Metalsub USA:
Hello Ianr33,

I will soon be selling the ligh cannon because the Metalsub XL7.2 Handheld light with 15 Watt LED head will be ready for shipment this week and after I get my first demo unit, I will dive with it as my backup. The 15 Watt LED head will be brighter that a 10 Watt HID, by about 200 Lumens and at the same 6000° K it will be awesome underwater. See the photo below:

XL7_2.JPG

Sounds great. If you would like to send me one I will test it for you:)

Do you have any dealers where I could take a look at one of these lights?

stas:
Hi,
I will be purchesing a canister light in the near future to use as I get more involved in the local diving. For me right now that means upto 130 fsw in the notheast on wrecks. In a year, I plan to take my first tech course. I was wondering what would be an aceptable backup light (I hope I don't need another canister since those things arent exactly being given away. Any and all sugestions welcomed.
Thanks, Stas

Hi,

I would encourage you to look at the Green Force modular lighting system (www.mantaindustries.com). It would fit perfectly within your needs. The fact that you can start out with either LED, halogen or HID in a hand held configuration and then simply add an umbilical to turn it into a canister light has many advantages.

This system NEVER becomes obsolete. As technology advances (better LED's) you will not be left second guessing why you bought the light you have.

I am a northeast wreck diver and even in shallower wrecks you want a strong light. Our systems offer excellent burn times on a variety of light heads.

Thanks – Greg

Back
Top Bottom