back-up mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi,
i'm thinking about getting a second mask. right now i have tusa platina m-20 (with clear skirt) and very happy about it. since i dive in low vis waters, the clear skirt does not bother me. i want to get a second mask that would become my primary mask and i have my tusa platina as a back up. i definitely want a low volume mask with a black skirt.
i have a few questions, assuming a perfect fit:
(1) should i get a frameless or 2 lens mask and why?
(2) which manufacturers have a better reputation for mask making or does it matter at all: OMS, Scuba Pro, Tusa, Atomic or Oceanic?
(3) my friend is suggesting getting a mask with a neoprene strap for better holding as opposed to a silicone one.

A little bit of extra info:
i'm planning to do UW photography one day, hopefully soon, and possibly spear fishing in a remote future (a year or two). as i said, i dive in low vis waters but will start going to high vis areas for vacations. I don't do any cave diving (i don't think that matters but anyway). I don't want any side lenses.

i would greatly appreciate feedback from folks who have experienced with more than one type of mask (different manufacturers or features).
thanks a lot

Mikhail Frenkel:
hi, i would greatly appreciate feedback from folks who have experienced with more than one type of mask (different manufacturers or features).
thanks a lot

Hi, I'm coming to realize that the fit is most important. Despite the make or pricetag, you never know how that mask will work out until you have tried it...for a while. My most recent experience is with the XS Scuba Fusion 2 mask, which merged perfectly on my face with an unusually wide, firm strip of silicone that seemed as if it would keep out a tidal wave. While waiting for a tank fill, I just randomly tried the mask on, pulling it off the shelf and testing for fit--and what a discovery (for me). I had not expected to find a good fit let alone go home with a new mask purchase...

The Mares X-vision I have used has excellent views through the deep lens ports that I appreciate, but with my face leaks a bit more than the Fusion 2. I still have had great dives with it, though I clear it often. My wife was unable to wear the Mares X-vision because it leaked too much on her face, which was a drag--we bought two of those same masks. The Poseidon Three Dee had a good fit similar to what I experienced with the XS Scuba on my face--a relatively wide silicone strip that matched every contour of my face perfectly.

Go try a bunch on and see what happens. If the shop has a pool you can test it in, then it could be valuable to do it that way, rather than find out on your dive that the mask you bought isn't going to work for you, and waste your money and time.

Good luck! I'd love to hear more reports of good masks to try on.

Kind regards, Todd

Mikhail Frenkel:
hi,
i have a few questions, assuming a perfect fit:
(1) should i get a frameless or 2 lens mask and why?
I like them both. I'm very impressed with the Atomic Frameless.
Mikhail Frenkel:
(2) which manufacturers have a better reputation for mask making or does it matter at all: OMS, Scuba Pro, Tusa, Atomic or Oceanic?
They all make perfectly adequate adequate masks, as do many other manufacturers.
Mikhail Frenkel:
(3) my friend is suggesting getting a mask with a neoprene strap for better holding as opposed to a silicone one.
A neoprene "slap" strap is a separately priced product, and worth the money to me.
Mikhail Frenkel:
A little bit of extra info:
i'm planning to do UW photography one day, hopefully soon, and possibly spear fishing in a remote future (a year or two). as i said, i dive in low vis waters but will start going to high vis areas for vacations. I don't do any cave diving (i don't think that matters but anyway). I don't want any side lenses.

i would greatly appreciate feedback from folks who have experienced with more than one type of mask (different manufacturers or features).
thanks a lot
I like a low volume mask with no purge, an opaque skirt and a slap strap.

I too think fit is the most important. In my case the only mask that would fit was an OMS. The keys though are fit and low volume.

I look at fit and then I look at price I dont care who the maker of the mask is. If it dosent fit and do what I want it to do I dont even consider it.

hi folks,
thank you all for responding.
i understand that most important thing is the fit and i made an assumption in my post that fit is not an issue (i would not get a mask without trying it first). my questions were with regards to (1) frameless vs. 2 lenses; (2) manufacturer; (3) strap. the 2nd and 3rd points were adresses quite well, so i'm still waiting for some thoughts on (1).

I love the way TUSA masks fit, they have always seemed to get it right IMO. the technisub LOOK is also a great mask for fit.

I havent found a frameless mask to fit me yet, but everyone is different. Try a few out.

Re the slap strap, I love them, but maybe it is not nessecary and a little bulky for a backup.

Mikhail Frenkel:
my questions were with regards to (1) frameless vs. 2 lenses; (2) manufacturer; (3) strap. the 2nd and 3rd points were adresses quite well, so i'm still waiting for some thoughts on (1).

Thinking as an eyeglass wearer, there can be subtle differences between these designs for prescription lenses. Whatever the options are for the masks you are looking at, these might be weighed depending on your needs.

I've read repeatedly here that Atomic frameless masks are incredible and will definitley give one a try. Never know how it will work for me, though.

I think the mask is a more important piece of equipment than usually credited. Fooling around with mask clearing, constant adjustments, and suboptimal view doesn't just make a dive a drag, but can distract a diver at critical times.

Mask straps? I replace all with a hip designer pad.:14:

Here's a thought: might replacement straps be harder on some masks, depending on design? I pulled a mask completely apart coming ashore after a dive ~1 month ago. I had pulled hard on the webbing while getting it off my head, I guess. I couldn't tell--my hands were pretty numb. Suddenly in my hand was a pile of silicone and glass! The mask had lasted maybe 6 months and fell apart near where the webbing attached to the stock buckle. Lucky that was the last dive of the day. I still can't use those flimsy silicone stock straps, though.

Hope these quick thoughts help somewhat. All the best, Todd

Back
Top Bottom