Back into the fold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackAfter30

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

Just getting back into diving after about 30 years. I know; WTH? Got my cert in '86 in Santa Barbara and dove a while there. Got married and didn't dive again until last year. The newer, better wife and I got married in Negril 11 years ago at Couples Swept Away, and we go back almost every year. She knew that I used to dive and always asked if I wanted to go out while we were there (free, after all). I always said I didn't want to do something she wouldn't join in on. Bad for SCUBA, great for marriage credits. Finally last year I couldn't take it anymore, I decided I wanted to dive. I have a friend who was getting his DM and needed a rescue dummy so I dummied for him while doing a refresher with his instructor. Went to Negril and did three dives and instantly confirmed that I should not have ever left diving. Oh well, I'm back now.

Living in Colorado is not like living in Santa Barbara as far a diving goes (but it IS really good for skiing). Since coming back I've had three dives in Jamaica, two in Utah, and ten in New Mexico. All but one of those dives has been a training dive. I figure if my wife is going to indulge me in this at my age, then I owe it to her to arm myself as best I can. I've done Deep, Nav, Buoyancy, Altitude, Nitrox, and Night SSI specialties. I plan on Stress & Rescue soon, and going out and logging some hours blowing bubbles. I'm looking forward to just diving and enjoying.

We're headed to Grand Cayman next month and I'll be looking for info here about dive ops (Red Sail is affiliated with out hotel), shore sites, snorkel sites, and anything else I can before I book some dives. If anyone can point me directly to any appropriate threads it would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to hanging out here and learning from all of you.

Thanks,
Rich

We go to GC every year. WE typically dive with Living the Dream, but Turtle Divers is our back up. I do think the island polices there own well, and you can't go wrong with any operator. Depending on what experience you are looking for (large group or small) you will be good with whomever you choose. The West Side may have more snorkel options for you new wife (get her certified!), but the North side is where the action is for big stuff in my experience. You can't go wrong diving either. Good luck! Have fun..will be there in June to dive and do the Flowers sea swim.

Welcome back to diving, Rich. I too returned to diving after several years and have been enjoying every moment of it. Also welcome to Scuba Board!

First goes the hair, then the hearing and finally the memory ...
For some reason I can't recall the Divers Den..
I have no reason to not believe you --
just

All is well in CenCal

SAM

For some reason I can't recall the Divers Den..
I have no reason to not believe you --
just

All is well in CenCal

SAM
It's gone now, but was on Anacapa right near The Charthouse.

Back
Top Bottom