Back Inflate vs Jacket Style BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrusso8704

Reaction score
I'm new to diving and was just recently certified. I am female, 5'4" and 130 lbs. I am looking to buy my first BC. I've been training on a jacket style BC but heard several good feedback regarding back inflated BC's. Would the switch from jacket style to back inflated BC be a big difference? Is back inflated BC really better in water?

I am looking at a Scubapro Ladyhawk or a Seaquest Diva LX. Any opinions on this?

I appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

I like my KnightHawk ... I have a few posts about it, do a search for KnightHawk and it should be one of the more recent ones. The KnightHawk is the mens version... pretty much the same.

I too am relatively new to diving, and went through what you are. I would recommend a back inflate. The jacket style makes you want to "stand" while in the water. Now when you start moving, it is very easy to level off. However, with a back inflate, it tends to hold you in the horizontal position better. Of course, this is just the opinion of a newbie, so take it for what it is worth.

Good luck with your diving, and welcome to the board!

I do not think that you will have a problem getting used to it.

I had my first OW classes with a jacket style BC, and then went out to buy a back inflated one. I had no trouble getting used to it and the feel UW and above is very stable.

Be sure that the fit is good. That's the main issue.

Ari :)

Howdy and Welcome to the board!

You should not have any problem switching over to a back inflation BC, at first you might feel like you are being pushed over a little bit, but this is usually caused by the BC being inflated too much which is something you learn pretty quickly. Most people find back floatation BC's to be more comforable, and I am sure that some of the very knowledgeable women divers we have on the board can give you some great info on which BC's are best suited for women. I personall know several ladies that wear Zeagle Zenas and other Zeagle BC's because of their ability to be adjusted so easily to fit different shapes. Hope this helps.

Hi jrusso8704!!

I find personally that jacket style BCD's create a lot of drag and tend to ride up.

Back flotation also puts your body in optimal position while diving!

Big thumbs up for scubapro Lady Hawk!!
:)

NINJA

I'm new to the sport and gradually acquiring my own gear. My latest purchase (which I'm awaiting arrival of) is a back inflation BC - the Zeagle Ranger Limited Edition. Prior to selecting this BC I did quite a bit of research (thank you to all here who answered my questions) and rented various types of BC's to get a personal opinion of the ones that I was considering.

I dove the Zeagle Ranger and found it to be extremely comfortable, moreso than the others that I'd tried. The features of the BC are excellent as well. Perhaps most importantly was that it's price was below the budget that I'd set for this particular piece of equipment. It helps to shop around though!

Good luck with your own decision!

Thank you all for your advise. I've decided to go with a back-inflate BC. I am going to go with the Scubapro Ladyhawk. This board convinced me, as well as, two LDS I checked out this weekend.

I didn't realize it was over $600 for the one with the Air 2. Wow! It'll take me a month or two to afford it since I just bought my scubapro regulator.

By the time I complete buying my equipment, I wouldn't be able to afford to go to any dive trips....:)

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom