Back in the saddle after a long hiatus.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, Nitrox cert is on my list. In all my previous boat dives no one ever requested divers logs or certs, but we were doing dives of <100 feet.
The LDS I am using does in state dives every weekend during the some and out of states once a month in the winter. I need to develop a diving buddy network.

I came back in after a hiatus about ten years ago. I did a refresher and was fine. It depends a bit on what type of diving you want to do. If you have an AOW card from back in the day, you can ease yourself back into diving without spending on the classes. Read, find some buddies that you can work with. If you have a pre-AOW certification, getting on charters will be pain in the ass.

The old tanks aren’t really worth keeping unless they are steel. Many shops will not service old AL tanks. I expect you already have an idea of what type diving you want to do. I got Nitrox certified for dive travel, but never use it locally, because I don’t really get a significant benefit when I am doing two tank in a day on my one day off.

Computers are a super improvement over tables, but a basic computer will do pretty much everything an expensive computer will do if you are staying within the NDL. I had an air integrated computer and it was really nice, but when it died, I bought a replacement that wasn’t and I don’t miss it that much. It comes down to type of diving (needs) and budget. Scuba Board tends to swing tech,

I had a NASDA (now SSI) OW dive card. I also did a Scuba Life Saving and Accident Management (SLAM) certification at one time.
My AL tank will probably be good for the diving I plan to do local. I guess if it gets refused a couple of times I will look for a replacement.

The Nitrox would be for ocean diving, not for lake diving near me. I'm leaning to the Mares Puck and a similar Cressi brand PDC.

The Nitrox would be for ocean diving, not for lake diving near me.
Why do you say that? I’m assuming that’s due to depths (deeper ocean, shallower lakes). Nitrox is not a deep gas. Nitrox has more depth restrictions than air. Nitrox is to give you more safety factor OR, longer bottom times. Though, at real shallow depths, you probably won’t need that. Plus, with the AL80, you are probably limited by gas supply, not NDL.

I seem to feel less fatigued after diving Nitrox compared to air, but there is debate on that.

I'm not considering deep depths with Nitrox, I don't know a lot about it but I do know it does not increasing the depth at which you an dive. I would like more bottom time for reef diving as such. Most of my ocean diving has been a less than 90 feet. In the lake I will dive most diving is <40 feet.

On another note, my regulator became an economic causality. Due to corrosion and busted springs the cost to repair it would be equal to some newly serviced used gear the shop had for sale. This gear would be two generations newer and more streamlined.

I'm hoping my tanks pass.

Nitrox, which I'm honestly not a fan of referring to it as, doesn't really increase your bottom time. It gives you more time to stay out of NDL but you'll be limited by the amount of gas in your cylinder either way. If you breathe an AL80 full of air down in 45 minutes @ 40 ft, the same will be true for an AL80 full of EAN. It's a safer gas as long as you stay within your MOD (maximum operating depth) because you're onloading less nitrogen and decreases the amount of time you have to spend on the surface between dives. For some people, the additional cost is worth it; for some others not so much. Some people claim over multiple days of diving that they feel less exhaustion diving EAN as compared to diving air, but I haven't experienced that myself. YMMV

I was out of the water for 8 years. A refresher is all you need.

Most if not computers nowdsys are nitrox. I like air integration but they do cost considerably more.

P.S.

I love my shearwater perdix AI

Yeah, the last time I dove I was very comfortable with it. I'm probably going with the refresher course. Still looking for a budget friendly two button PDC...the Mares Puck has a hard price to beat.

I think the puck is on sale at Leisure Pro for $170 right now.

I'm not considering deep depths with Nitrox, I don't know a lot about it but I do know it does not increasing the depth at which you an dive. I would like more bottom time for reef diving as such. Most of my ocean diving has been a less than 90 feet. In the lake I will dive most diving is <40 feet.
OK. Good. I only asked that due to a lot of misunderstanding around Nitrox. I've heard people tell me that they don't need Nitrox as they don't do real deep dives. Nx is not a deep gas. For deep technical dives, trimix is better suited, but not for the novice.

For single dives at those depths, you probably won't see any benefit to Nx over air. You'll likely run out of air long before you hit NDL limits. For multiple dives, that may not be the case, but you'd have to rack up quite a few dives at 40' where that will be a concern.

I dont use nitrox here very often, I'm doing 2 dives at usually 10-20 feet, there is no point.

I took one dive vacation where I was doing 4 or 5 dives every day, nitrox was great for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom