Back from Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kapula

Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya all!
Just got back from Thailand yesterday. Now I have some 4.5Gb of u/w photos to go through :) It was my first trip with the latest toy z-240. Here's an unedited teaser for you all:

manta.jpg

More to come later...

Great shot. Where in Thailand? I am going there in April and would love close encounters of the manta kind..
Alison

Thanks guys!
alijtaylor: I saw that fella in koh Bon while diving on a liveaboard (liveaboard to similan/surin). We actually spent a nice 30 or so minutes alone with my girlfriend with 3-5 different mantas circeling around us! It was definitely the dive of my life. All mantas came to check us out many times and got as close as one meter stopping there to hover in a current for a while.

If you're planning to do even a bit of diving in thailand make sure you book a liveaboard to Similan islands. I've been there numerous times and it's definitely a place to visit every time I'm in thailand. The funniest thing about diving on a liveaboard is that it can actually be even cheaper than doing daytrips and you'll reach places you won't be able to dive on a daytrip. The price thingie applies for thailand don't know about other destinations :)

Great picture, looking forward to your trip report.
How did you get along with the Z-240?

Thanks Victor!
We got along quite well. I bought sync cord and used ttl on almost all pictures. Strobe positioning is something I need to practise quite a bit since most of my pics do have a dark shadow. It was also due to using 1/250 and faster shutter speeds. Poor z-240 had to produce quite a bit of power (as I used ttl aswell).

beautiful pic

Thailand makes me cringe....:(

My dive trip to Koh Samui / Koh Tao in Feb was rained out....the only time it stopped raining was at 1am in the morning so we could go out and get some food :(

All I got to see of Thailand underwater was in the dive shops promos :( grrrrr ! :)

The Similans are the pearl of Thailand apparently...

Congratulations on getting to some warm water, Kapula. Looking forward to the rest of the pictures. Two of my most recent open water students are on their way to Thailand right now. Hope they have as nice an experience as yours.

Very cool. What boat did you go on. We went on the Mermaid II last year. Only saw 1 manta but we did see 2 whale sharks. One was a little baby only about 6 feet.
Whale_shark1.jpg

Manta.jpg

Sorry for the thumbnails but I don't know how to get the image location for the larger view from the galleries here.

kapula:
Thanks guys!
alijtaylor: I saw that fella in koh Bon while diving on a liveaboard (liveaboard to similan/surin). We actually spent a nice 30 or so minutes alone with my girlfriend with 3-5 different mantas circeling around us! It was definitely the dive of my life. All mantas came to check us out many times and got as close as one meter stopping there to hover in a current for a while.

If you're planning to do even a bit of diving in thailand make sure you book a liveaboard to Similan islands. I've been there numerous times and it's definitely a place to visit every time I'm in thailand. The funniest thing about diving on a liveaboard is that it can actually be even cheaper than doing daytrips and you'll reach places you won't be able to dive on a daytrip. The price thingie applies for thailand don't know about other destinations :)

Thanks Kapula
Mantas all around would be fantastic. I am booked on a 3 day liveaboard up to the Similans so I'll hope the rays are still there - one of the posts on the Similan update thread down in the regional forum, is saying that 6 (or maybe 8) different mantas are around at present.
Alison

Back
Top Bottom