Back from St. Croix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jstuart1

Contributor
Reaction score
Mom and I went to St. Croix for the second time Dec 9-16th. I dove with SCUBA and had a great time. It was really nice diving with a shop that already knew me. We dove some sites I didn't do last time and a few that I had. I love the West Wall of Salt River. Just a really incredible dive.

Seemed the first 4 dives something minor went wrong on every dive with the last being my purge valve came out sometime between dives. What a surprise when I made that giant stride! They had a spare and I continued the dive. Matt, Kari and Dawn made sure I saw all the cool stuff. Like the three Spotted Wrays swimming by in a line, the scorpion fish, fireworm, lobster and flounder. I even saw two morrays, one huge green one and a spotted one. Other neat things I saw were a couple banded shrimp, barracuda and a very small yellow crab living on a barrel sponge.

The color has returned dramatically to the coral from the summer bleaching. I got a couple shots of polka dotted coral where the color hadn't come back completely yet. On one of the sites I found a brain coral that has a heart growing in it. That was pretty interesting and the pic came out pretty good.

My best shots were the last two days when I finally felt ready to get off of P mode and start playing with the F-Stops. Came out with several pics that I didn't need to do anything with. I couldn't get my external strobe to fire so I left it at the hotel and all the shots are with the camera flash. I think I got some of the best shots I have taken on these dives.

You can see the pics here http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1387

Forgot to mention my funny story.

On one of the last two dives, Jerry the videographer pointed behind me and a bit upwards. I looked and there was a barracuda. When I looked back at Jerry, he indicated that it had been circling. I went back to taking pics and the next thing I know something grabbed my fin!!!! Can you guess what I thought? I screamed bloody murder and whipped around to see what had me! The attacking barracuda turned out to be the other DM, Dawn, who was trying to point out the cuda to me. We had a great laugh on the boat afterwards.

BTW, Jerry has opened up a new restaraunt called Salud. The food is great at a great price and the Sangria really has a kick.

Thanks for the trip report. Where else have you dived and what would you compare the diving in St. Croix to?

I have also been to Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize although they were all stops on cruise ships. St. Croix was the first time I actually spent a week in the same place so my opinon may not be quite fair. St. Croix is my favorite because of the number and variety of sites.

The photos turned out great! I really enjoyed seeing them. Looking forward to the trip my husband and I will be on at the end of Feb. Will be great to be diving in St Croix again. Glad you had a good time,
Carol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom