back from GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im surprised with the cost and duration of fundies, more of your issues couldnt be worked out.

I think it was rjack that said; "it's simple things done with great precision" which sums it up nicely. If you're not used to having to dive with such precision, it really is a big change. I consider myself reasonably adept at physical "stuff" - years of gymnastics, martial arts and a variety of sports. But the skills and precision required, especially for a Tech pass takes time to get to a place where you don't feel task loaded and start to forget things.

Fundies gives you a new perspective on diving, as well as the tools to continue to develop the necessary skills. Many of us had to take some additional time to get things ironed out.

Im surprised with the cost and duration of fundies, more of your issues couldnt be worked out. It is a teaching class and not just a demonstration of skills right? I havent figured out how to remain motionless while hovering either as long as your breathing your gonna rise and fall a few inches which has never been a problem but maybe theres a technique that I dont know about. I agree, diving new configs or gear before any class is very important.

that is a good point. I was able to improve my skills a bit during the course, to the point of getting a rec pass. I was also given a lot of things to work on before returning for reassessment. So, in part it is a demonstration of skills, and if the skills aren't up to standards, then you are given feedback on what needs to be improved, and how to do it, although at least for me, the change doesn't happen immediately and takes time. Fred made it very clear that if I have any questions while practicing to shoot him an email or a phone call, and he would be happy to help me out. He also gave me the option of continuing to practice in Mexico, and even offered to supply the tanks and gas, I just didn't have the time to take advantage of it.

I should clarify too that when I say "motionless", I am referring to body parts and trim, i.e. not using my fins to maintain trim, and not falling out of trim. A little up and down is OK.

Congratulations! My Fundies experience was similar to yours - I have much to work on. It was a worthwhile and humbling experience.

Glad to hear you scored a rec pass! Its a tough course, and getting a rec pass says a lot.

In time, you'll find that all those things you've begun to learn will become second nature, and they will just 'happen' without you thinking about it. Its a long road, sometimes frustrating, but the time and energy spent will be very rewarding.

The best thing about it is how much it makes every dive you do more fun. When you can simply hang in the water and breathe and watch interesting animal behavior, or position yourself perfectly for just the right photograph, or do a smooth, coordinated ascent up the anchor line with your team, everything is just more enjoyable and stress-free.

As far as Fundies working out all the issues -- some things, like nervous finning or hand use -- are habits that take time to break. Sometimes it takes some time and practice to change your body posture underwater, or really to internalize what horizontal feels like. Sometimes you can manage all those things, but the effort required to do it just knocks down your situational awareness. You can't fix all that in five days, no matter how good the instructor is, or how determined the student might be. Some things just take time and practice!

As far as Fundies working out all the issues -- some things, like nervous finning or hand use -- are habits that take time to break. Sometimes it takes some time and practice to change your body posture underwater, or really to internalize what horizontal feels like. Sometimes you can manage all those things, but the effort required to do it just knocks down your situational awareness. You can't fix all that in five days, no matter how good the instructor is, or how determined the student might be. Some things just take time and practice!

Totally agreed! In fact, for a diver who's been diving for a long time before they took their Fundies, it might mean that they'd have more things to unlearn and re-learn. Fundies merely raises the awareness, and as TSandM said, helps with the internalisation. I've seen many students who look shattered at the end of each day, and that's because of the steep learning curve. The popular mindset of "I'll practice more before I'll take Fundies" might actually work against the diver, especially if they haven't got someone to point them in the right direction. In short, they might end up reinforcing any habits that might work against them during Fundies. My team mate during Fundies had only 10 dives under his belt and took to Fundies really well because he was still at the formative stage of his learning. It is the period after Fundies that's the most critical, where you put in the time and effort to practice what you'd learnt, getting your instructor to monitor your progress, before you're ready to move on to the next stage. That was what I did before I decided to start on my Tech 1, which I found was less stressful than Fundies. Having great team mates helped heaps as well :)

@ John: Sorry John, January 2013 is way too soon for me, plus I've always wanted to dive the caves of Mexico. Cheers for the offer anyway!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom