Back from Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from week at Fantasy Island. Great diving. First day was really windy with 3+ ft seas. Fun getting back on boat. Calmed down after that and was like glass last 3 days. Marys Place was flat out impressive. I'm not much of a fish identifer but the people i was with sure were. Some moray showed its fangs at me. Lots of people there like other resorts better but the two for one price got them there. Jimmy the divemaster was excellent. my buddy from work did all 19 dives. i couldnt stay up with him did 16. My wife is non diver who insisted on spending last day in West End buying stuff. Really good time had by all the six people who went.

Anyone going to be at Twin Lakes Sunday. I cant get enough of this stuff before cold weather sets in

Hi Leiserom--can you tell me about Fantasy's accommodations?
We are going there in 3 weeks and everyone is nervous after hearing about how run down the rooms are....how was the food, the rooms, etc? We normally stay at CoCo View next door, but the 2 for 1 was too good to miss. Thanks for any input!

I had read some of these reports so was apprehensive. I feel these fears were unfounded though. Our room was nice. Wood floor, bed was in good shape. Obviously not the newest place but certainly not run down at all. Biggest problem was they had a water line break on a Sunday that did not get repaired till monday resulting in reduced or no water for a day. I thought boats in good shape. Saw Coco views boats which looked similar.Food was good. Weekend before last was Honduran independence day resulting in resort being crowded with non diving families there for weekend. Once they left and the resort got down to divers they started putting out King Crab, Lobster, steaks. Food definitely improved once place was not as crowded. Main complaint I had was communication. When we arrived we apparently had to go to an orientation before we could dive. no one told us about this until we asked. no one told us to bring airline tickets for reconfirmation until they put out a sign. we suggested they prepare a handout to be passed out at check in. Orientaion was at 8 am with first dive at 9 am. dives were good. five of us were diving nitrox. Seems they barely stayed ahead of us. Not an issue if diving air. I went by Anthonys Key last day. Clearly a nicer place. Some of the people at FI said they preferred other resorts but cost savings too large to pass up. Everyone I talked to was happy.

Just got back from Fantasy Island and I must say it was a very pleasant stay. The food was good, rooms were fine, and the diving was conservative. We also experienced lots of locals on the weekend--quieter during the week. We normally stay at CoCo View next door, but the 2 for 1 lured us to Fantasy. Our dive master was Derry, and he was okay although didnt do much in the way of pointing out and finding the sea life. We prefer the dive operations at CoCo View--they have lots more diving, its convenient to dive ANYTIME, and the divemasters are superb. At any rate, we really enjoyed the change of scenery and the nice beach to lay around on! If anyone out there needs more specifics, let me know!

Happy Diving!

Check out these photos:
album

I'm a CoCo View fan myself!

Your ImageStation site is requiring folks to join in order to see your photos. Can you make it public?

Hi Dee, Im having a rough time with this link, is it working now?
The album is not password protected.
These pics were taken with an Oly 3040 ( like yours) with an Ikelite housing (thanks for the advice) with no strobe. I think I got some great pics!

Pics

It's a common problem with lots of free picture hosting sites. Alot of their advertising revenue is based on how many 'members' they have so one way to bump up those numbers is to require a membership to view anyones pictures.

Ok, Ill try once more and I have a question for you....any suggestions for some good host sites?

I would love to be able to link to these photo sites so others can view them from here....I can send emails thru the one Im using now to invite others to view so I dont get it!

I really enjoy Bill and Evelyn at CoCo View--they are really nice people--I told her last week about all the positive stuff Ive read on here about the resort...she was very pleased!

Thanks!

It's a new hosting site but it isn't free. In fact, it's just finishing the beta testing and is about ready to go public. Started by a photographer friend who was also tired of the free sites that are so restrictive. It will cost $36 a year but I think it's money well spent, especially as much as I use it.

If you're interested, send Larry email at larry@lozuk.com and tell him I sent ya. To see how the albums look/work, check out my photos at the link in my signature.

Yeah...Miss Evie and Bill are something else! I'm glad they've both gotten over their health problems. Our stay at CCV isn't the same when they aren't there. If you want to go back, we have a trip going next April 12-19! Come go with us...we'll have a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom