Back from Ambergris...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from our first trip to Ambergris Caye so we thought we'd give a few thoughts. This was not a dive-dive-dive trip but a romantic getaway with some diving included.

We stayed at Victoria House which we loved. Very peaceful and lovely. The grounds are beautiful with a relaxing vibe. The staff were great at every turn. The food was excellent. We stayed in an oceanview casitas with a nice patio - loved it! The room was small but having our own private patio with lounge chairs and a hammock was fabulous. We just had the best experience here and highly recommend it for a couples retreat.

We didn't arrange diving until we arrived and decided on Amigos Del Mar because we liked their boats. We did a two-tank morning dive to Amigos Canyons and Victoria Canyons. Immediately upon jumping in we had a large number of nurse sharks greeting us and following us for the whole dive with a few reef sharks joining the group as we moved along. It was pretty obvious the divemasters have been feeding lionfish to the sharks enough that it's like cows to the feed truck. The dive sites were very nice and we enjoyed ourselves. They did spear lionfish and feed the sharks several times on both dives. I understand the lionfish threat and agree they need eraticated but not sure if they are creating a problem with all the sharks expecting to be fed.

We did the Blue Hole trip with ADM as well because of the large boat they have. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great as we had heavy clouds and a good bit of rain during much of the trip. The Blue Hole dive was as reported elsewhere... a neat thing to see and experience but we decided once was enough for that dive. The stalactites were amazing but the depth made our time so short that it went very quickly. They told us ahead that we should max at 130 for 8 minutes and some conservative computers may go into deco mode but "don't worrry about it, just follow along and it will clear as you ascend." Not exactly by the book. We maxed at 135 with some maxing around 140. We did a very slow ascent and an 8 minute safety stop to be extra safe and never had a problem with our computers.

The next dive was Half Moon Wall which was excellent. Lots of fish life and great corals and creatures. I could do that one over and over. We did see a spotted eagle ray, turtles, plenty of large grouper, and a reef shark. We then headed to the island and ate on the boat as it was raining. The rain stopped long enough to walk to the bird watching tower which was fun. I would love walking the island in nice weather. The last dive was West Bay Wall I think. It was similar to Half Moon Wall but more lionfish here. The divemasters speared a bunch of lionfish and fed most to nurse sharks but left some for scavangers. We were picked up at 5:30 in the morning and returned about 5:00 p.m. They had plenty of drinks, snacks, and lunch for us to keep you satisfied throughout the trip. The divemasters and boat crew, especially Carlos, were excellent and took care of all our needs.

Carlos talked to us about diving more with ADM and we asked about doing a night dive. He was willing to take just the two of us out on a night dive. We were to have a boat driver with Carlos as our guide. We arranged pickup for the next evening. Upon pickup we found out we were going out just the 3 of us to Hol Chan. Carlos handled the boat and tied us off to one of the mooring balls, then we all entered the water together, leaving the boat unattended. I was not happy about this method and later decided I should have said "no dive without a boat driver." This was very unsafe. Had anyone had a problem or had the current shifted during the dive we could have had a major issue, but it all went well. We had a fabulous night dive seeing nudibranch, several octopi, lots of rays, huge dog snapper, free swimming morays, several varieties of shrimp, and a cave with sleeping rays and a huge loggerhead sea turtle. It was one of the best night dives for sea life I've ever done. Still, I was not happy that the agreed-upon boat driver wasn't there and I should have spoken up. That was not a safe situation. I think Carlos wanted all the earnings for himself so he didn't have to share the fee or tip with a driver.

We loved Ambergris Caye and had a great time exploring the island and local dining. Our favorite dining was Neri's Tacos, Blue Water Grill (great ceviche!), and Elvi's Kitchen. This is my 6th Caribbean island and will go down as a favorite for the laid-back style.

Questions? Comments?

Dean and Tami

Last edited:
We went there for our honeymoon 1990, and it was just as you describe except no lionfish then, plus I remember huge corals and sponges, vase or urns? So big I thought I could have fit inside them.
We had sunny days to walk but rainy chill nights, and there were critters to see on land as well as in the ocean. Once we are empty nesters we plan to go back!

Last edited:
AMD is a fine operations. we used them in the past and never had an issue. they also certified our daughter at 14 and in 4 days. day 5 was the blue hole

are most of the docks repaired? how was Vis we leave in 22 days and are staying and diving with Romone's

The majority of docks on the island had damage, some completely destroyed. Victoria House has a new dock in place and the palapa at the end was completed while we were there. Most docks downtown have been replaced so 95% are back to full operations. Ramon's has only replaced a very short dock at their place so many of their boats are anchored out and rotated use of the dock during operations. I'm told the owner is waiting on insurance money before he replaces the full dock.

Visibility was excellent. We noticed little damage from the hurricane, though we'd never been there before. We saw no barrel sponges damaged or uprooted on our dives and there was no noticeable sand on the reefs which I saw in Cozumel after a hurricane. Locals told us it was mostly wind and surge for them, otherwise little effect.

Last edited:
We are contemplating a trip to Ambergris Caye in April and we are concerned about the condition of Ramon's and the town generally, restaurants etc. We have been to Turneffe but never to AC and I don't want to go if it is still in significant recovery from the hurricane.

Don't be concerned. There is little evidence remaining if the hurricane. Ramon's has a dock, just smaller for now but they are fully operational.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom