B-25 bomber - Lake Murray SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny how things come back around, isn't it? I thought this thread was dead a long time ago.

Thanks for the info. I sure wish I could have been there! Maybe Chickdiver will post a dive report.

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

copied from http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3871232

(Lake Murray) Sept. 19, 2005 - Crews worked all day Monday, carefully following procedures to safely pull up a historic B-25 bomber from the bottom of Lake Murray.

After sunset, the bomber was visible above the lake's surface. John Adams Hodge has been working on the project from planning to execution, a process that took years, "It's been absolutely fantastic this evening. We've spent well over ten years planning this event. And I'll tell you, there were times along the process whent people felt that maybe just a bunch of guys getting together organizing this were not as effective as a government agency or a corporation or something like that."

But he is proud of his team's work, "We assembled a world-class team and the guys worked extremely hard this week. Ten days on the water, some of these people were on the barge for 36 hours straight. The plane is on the beach. It'll be in its resting place in a sling in just a few minutes, and then off to the museum in just a few days. So we're absolutely excited about this."

He says that crew did their job right, "It's tedious, it's technical, but the main thing is just to be patient and make sure everything's done right and slowly and deliberately."

It'll be on the lake shore for about three or four days, then off to a museum in Alabama. It will take five or six years for the restoration process there.

Reported by Tamara King

Nice. So how deep was it? Did you ever dive her?

Where is Lake Murray? How did the Bomber get there?

punisher:
so how did the inhabitants of the bomber feel about it all?

Only one was alive still. The press interviewed him. There are some other posts on this that have links to some news stories on TV channel news websites that I think had some of his comments, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

firebrand:
Where is Lake Murray? How did the Bomber get there?

It's in South Carolina. The bomber crashed in the lake on a training mission according to the news stories I was referring to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom