Azul Del Mar & Quiescence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dyarab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

My wife and I just booked a trip in May (24th thru 30th) and are staying at the Azul Del Mar and diving with Quiescence. I cannot wait to see Azul Del Mar... it seems to be very highly regarded and I have yet to see anything bad written about it...other than the price. But hey, you get what you pay for.
03.gif
It's also a little more that a dive trip as our Anniversary is the 26th.

We were originally gonna stay at the Holiday Inn and dive with Rainbow Reef (I know big change from what we actually booked). After doing some searches on forum I got the impression that I could get a better op. There were good and not so good things written about them... seems the the not so good things stuck out. Quiescence was pretty highly spoken of on the boards so I gave them a call and they had openings everyday that we wanted (5 days
04.gif
). One thing I could not find is if they put a DM in the water with you. I dont care either way... just curious. Of course, my wife isn't looking forward to the backroll entry (I am assuming this is the entry given the pics of their boats, correct me if I'm wrong).

We were planning on doing our AOW, but given the extra money we spent for our accomodations we might have to bag that idea this trip. Not to mention there is a chance that the wife may get pregnant between now and then as well. I think she is getting tired of hearing me say, "Well just because you're pregnant, that doesnt mean I can't dive!"
04.gif
Ahhh, the things my wife puts up with... saint in the making.

Anyone have any feedback on Azul Del Mar or Quiescence? I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

We are diving with Quiescence this summer, so please post a report (or PM) and let us know what you think of them.

BTW... The Holiday Inn there isn't that bad. It's not fancy but it was very nice we though. Old style hotel type with the rooms having exterior doors and pool in the middle of the complex, but the rooms were clean with new furnishings, the restaurant and pool were very nice, etc. I'd stay there again.

mike_s:
We are diving with Quiescence this summer, so please post a report (or PM) and let us know what you think of them.

BTW... The Holiday Inn there isn't that bad. It's not fancy but it was very nice we though. Old sytle hotel type with the rooms having exterior doors and pool in the middle of the complex, but the rooms were clean with new furnishings, the restaurant and pool were very nice, etc. I'd stay there again.

Yeah I was more than happy to stay at the Holiday Inn, but once my wife saw Azul Del Mar... well see above for what happened.

I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back.
icosm14.gif

Quiescence is highly regarded.

They operate three six passenger 25' Deltas. Although the transoms are not of the "walk-thru" variety, your wife won't have to make backroll entries. You can both sit on the transom, facing aft, with your feet on the swim platform, where the captain will help you into your scuba units. Then you just stand up and step in, giant stride style!

In-water divemasters are not the norm. If you want one, you'll have to arrange it in advance, and pay a surcharge. If that's the case, you might as well knock out your AOW while you're at it!

Azul del Mar is the old "Rick's Place" revamped. I haven't seen the interior yet, but friends who have say that it is quite nice. Enjoy your stay!

KeyLargoBrent:
Quiescence is highly regarded.

They operate three six passenger 25' Deltas. Although the transoms are not of the "walk-thru" variety, your wife won't have to make backroll entries. You can both sit on the transom, facing aft, with your feet on the swim platform, where the captain will help you into your scuba units. Then you just stand up and step in, giant stride style!

In-water divemasters are not the norm. If you want one, you'll have to arrange it in advance, and pay a surcharge. If that's the case, you might as well knock out your AOW while you're at it!

Azul del Mar is the old "Rick's Place" revamped. I haven't seen the interior yet, but friends who have say that it is quite nice. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks Brent. The wife will be happy to hear she doesnt have to backroll.
14.gif
I personally think they're fun.

We can't wait to get back in the water.

I've never dove with Quiescence but have a friend who always uses them and highly recommends them. He couldn't think of enough good things to say about them.

He also said something about the sunset viewing from "Kelly's" I believe. I was planning to dive a couple different Keys so I can't remember what information belonged to which location.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I've never dove with Quiescence but have a friend who always uses them and highly recommends them. He couldn't think of enough good things to say about them.

He also said something about the sunset viewing from "Kelly's" I believe. I was planning to dive a couple different Keys so I can't remember what information belonged to which location.
Ber :lilbunny:

That seems to be the consensus. I have yet to find anything bad written/said about them.

Hello again.

I am unfortunately back in rainy Atlanta, but the trip to Key Largo was great. So read on if you want the details.

First off let let me tell you about Azul Del Mar... it was fantastic. It is a little more expensive than most hotels in the Keys(from what I saw) but it was worth every penny. We stayed in a Deluxe Seaview Suite. The room was impeccable. We had a small kitchnette area with a mini fridge, microwave, sink and mini-dish washer. It was equiped with plenty of silverware and untensil and even grill utensils if you wanted to use one of the 2 gas grills outside. We had leather furniture in the "living" area and a suede couch in the sitting area where you could look at the bay. DirecTV is there if you wanted to keep on world events or the Braves (for me). The bedroom was sizable witha king bed with high thread count sheets ( I love that, and I'm not trying to gay up the report or anything
03.gif
) and a down comforter.

There were also to small Hobie Cats and kayaks on the premises if you wanted to rent them. We didn't we were usually exhausted from diving. We basicall... ate, dive, sleep, repeat. And I loved every minute of it.

The owner of Azul, Dominic, was great. He went out of his way to make sure our stay was the best possible. We had a small shower problem one day, which required a plumber over the Memorial Day weekend (not an easy feat to accomplish) and it was fixed by the time we got back from our night dive. He still has his British accent even though he has been in the states a long while, and I was also pleased to see he still has the British sense of humor... which I love. When he isnt busy he will chat with you for a great lengths, and from what I have been told has a wealth of sailing knowledge. His sailboat is parked right out back of Azul.

We will definitely stay at Azul Del Mar again... if anyone does not mind the extra cash it is worth the stay. Even if it's just for a day or two. You'll love it and will be hooked. I might also add that there is no smoking in the rooms (thank you) and small children have to be pre-arranged for (as a childless married couple, for the moment, I also thank you Dom). Serenity, seclusion, and tranquility are Dom's goals... he accomplishes them in spades. Thank you for a wonderful stay Dom.

Now onto Quiescence. As advertised they were great. Very professional and friendly even while running around like chickens with there heads cut off due to the VERY busy holiday weekend for them. They were also very accomodating, my wife is a petite thing (5' 2" and 120lbs) and she asked if she could dive AL 63s and Quiescene happily accomodated her. It made diving for her alot easier and she enjoyed herself even more because of it. As most know their three boats are six-packs. There's enough room for six divers to go about there business with some bumping into each other but I'll take that over a cattle boat anyday.

Alright so onto the diving:

DAY 1 Afternoon Dives.

North North Dry Rocks - The surface was very choppy. We had 3-4 foot seas and were being kicked around. Everyone was very happy to get into the water. My wife had her mask come off on a back roll entry (she could have giany strided, lesson learned) but she kept her wits and calmed herself down. We saw a decent sized stingray on descent but that was as the "coolest" thing we saw on that dive. Other than that your usual reef life. Or it could have been I was paying attention to getting myself worked out since it was my fisrt dive since October. Visibility was about 25-30ft. in my estimates. 43 min/29 ft.

Christ of the Abyss - People were having issues with seasickness in the short move to this site. One woman was hit hard, and was basically laying on the deck wanting to die. My wife succumbed and puker oer the side. I rarely get seasick but I felt a little nauseous for a moment or two... onlt the second time I've ever felt it! Anyways, onto the dive. I guess God does live underwater. Anywho, the vis was a little better on this dive. It was neat to finally get to see the statue. There were lots of young grouper around the reef, as well as plnety of lobster seekin refuge from the holy statue... maybe they were on a pilgrimage. 62 mins/30 ft.

Jon was our captain for the day. He was great. We liked him alot even though the seas were throwing us a beating.

DAY 2 Afternoon dive

Benwood - The seas were calm this day and everyone was a lot happier and chatty. I loved this site as did my wife. I guess it can be classified as my first real wreck. I saw a huge Loggerhead turtle. I got my wife's attention, she loves turtles, her eyes got wide and happy! But in her delight she decided to swim towards the turtle and it spooked him and he went on his merry way. I just shook my head. Alot more interesting things on this site, coral crab, saucer coral, biggest trumpet fish I've ever seen, 2 big cobie above the stern of the wreck, and got real close to a barracuda before he decided he had had enough. One of the best dives I have ever had and my wife concurs. 56 min/41 ft

French Reef - Another great dive. Some swimthroughs on this reef added to it's enjoyment. Apparently my wife and I were the only ones on the boat who found the swimthroughs. I found a green moray and was watching him for a while before he decided to move me out of his way. He then proceeded to swim over and through the reef. I followed him to see where he was going, and he didnt much care about my presence. He did take issue witha grouper that got in his way and didnt care about moving until the moray gave him a little nudge. I laughed through my reg at that. The moray was baout a 4 footer. 55 min/35 ft

Jon was once again our captain, and he was once again great.

DAY 3 Afternoon dive

Molasses Reef North - Started the dive day on a bad note. I broke a clip on the shoulder atrap of my BC. A few expletives flew out of my mouth about that, but Captain Jon came to the rescue with some zip ties. He saved me from having to rent the rest of the trip. It held the entire dive trip and I didnt think about until after the trip was over. It wasnt very stylish but it got the job done. Now I'll be off to the dive shop when I'm done wrting this so they can send it off to the maunfacturer. It was a sign of bad things to come... The dive itself was great, alot of nurse sharks of all sizes were present. One was even chasing a grouper around (poor grouper seem to get no respect in the Keys). AT one point my wife and I just knelt in the sand and let the reef go by us. A nurse shark swam right over my wife's head. We also saw what I think was a reef shark, I know it wasn't a nurse shark, but couldnt properly identify which kind it was. He was swimming towards us, but once he checked us out he left. He was probably about 5 ft from what I could tell. Sharks kinda leave you speechless underwater. So awe inspring. I also happened along a scorpionfish as I was swimming along a few inches of the sand. Nearly ran into him! First one I've ever seen up close. <<Moron Diver Alert>> We were psuedo paired with a 3rd diver. His wife was snorkeling as he dove. He stayed with us for a while then went off on his own. We ran into him a few times throughout the dive and I and my wife signaled him as to how much air he had left numerous times. He never responded to us and sort of had a cluless look in his eyes like he didnt know what were were asking? Obviously he didn't know much of anything. I tried to keep track of him in the beginning, but he was more concerned about taking pictures on HIS 3RD OPEN WATER DIVE. We again met up with him at the ascent line and signaled if he was ready to go up. He agreed. We ascended to 15 feet to do our safety stop. My wife and the moron diver were a little above me. I look up and see my wife giving him her primary while she switched to her AIR2. The first though than ran through my mind was, "I don't ******ing believe this!!" My wife gave me the same look. Apparently he signaled he was out of air. Never even gave us a hint that he was low on air all the times we signaled him. My wife was about 200 psi less than I was and I was at about 800 on the line. I knew she was concerned about her psi so I kept close eye on her. I monitored the stop time and gave them the signal to ascend when appropriate. Then did ascend a little to quickly, which I told my wife about after all was said and done. Overall she handled herself very, very well. I was a little ticked off, but I held y tongue once we were back on the boat. The way I see it, this idiot should not have been in the water on his 3rd open water dive without a divemaster, and he needlessly endangered my wife's life (that may be extreme, but thats the way I see it). When we got back to shore I politely told one of the staff members about the incident and requested not to be on the same boat as that idiot again. They appreciated the way we handled the situation and abided by our request.
51 min./35 ft.

Molasses Reef (South) - The moron diver styed with an instructor whose student bailed on the seond dive due to seassickness. Thank heaven above. Lots of nurse sharks and grouper. More lobsters, some out and about on the reef. Barracudas galore. Another nice dive, even better without the moron.

CONT'D

Day 4 - Morning Dive

The Elbow - Another good dive... see a trend? Lots of life, just about everything minus turtles and rays. Nurse sharks abound once again. Spotted and green morays.

North North Ledges - This was an okay dive. Visiblity was average. We did see a nice sized school of midnight parrotfish and a pretty big school of barracuda hovering around the anchor line.

Night Dive - Benwood

I must say as much as I loved the Benwood I hated this dive due to the fact that there were about 40 other divers in the water. Some of them idiots. One diver in blue fins kept running into me and invading my personla space no matter where I was. He would swim ahead of us then turn around and swim into us, if he was above us he descended into us, if he was below us he ascended into us... etc etc etc. I swear I nearly unsheathed my knife for the first time. My wife and I tried to get away from everyone else without much luck. Since everyone was on the sides of the wreck I decided to swim over top of the lenght of the wreck. Well, once everyone saw that... guess where evryone ended up?? I was uncomfortable the entire time. I lost my breathing rhythm and found myself holding my breath occasionally. Not to mention I was also worried about my wife with all the other idiots in the water. I found an ascent line (I knew it wasn't ours) and thumbed the dive with about 1300 psi left. I wanted to get out before anything else got out of hand. My wife gave me a puzzled look but agreed. I explained on the swim to the boat. I know I'm not the best diver, and I don't claim to be but there are a lot od divers I saw this weekend that were just plain clueless, not to mention dangerous.

DAY 5 - Morning dive

Lalow's (sp?) Ledges - This is one of Quiescences "spots". It is named after an amployee who snorkeled the site. I was not impressed, although that's partly my fault as I had missed the intended divesite (a ledge that was west of the boat, I went north... doh!). Visiblity was the worst of the trip. It was no more than 25 ft upon descent., and it was no more than 15 ft by the end of it. It also had the strongest current of any of the dives. Apparently, despite the conditions we got to see something that's pretty rare (or so we were told), the sponges were spawning. Barrel sponges were filled with looked like yogurt. This was partly the reason for the bad visibility. I navigated back to the boat with half my tank left and decided to stay in that area, but ultimately lost the boat and had to ascend and doa safety stop w/o a line (no biggie). But we did have about a 100 yd surface swim against the current. My bad.

Anchor Chain at the Elbow - Perfect dive to end the trip. Nurse shark, morays, green sea turtle, and the biggest Jewfish I have ever seen underwater. He was longer than my wife and had to weight at least 300 lbs. I know they get bigger but this is the biggest one I have ever seen. He was hiding under a ledge with some cleaner fish doing there thing. He let us look at him until we had our fill. The thing was enormous. It was a perfect ending to a great dive trip.

I was surprised at the Keys, I wasn't expecting much but I think I liked them better than Cozumel, as far as marine life is concerned. I can only look at coral so much.

We are probably gonna go back in July eith our dive shop. Thanks for reading
icosm14.gif

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom