Avoiding my ear going "pop"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S. Kim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,
I have been worried a lot about my ear equalization. The last time I went diving in the pool, my ear drum was on the brink of popping.
So, yesterday I trained again. I remembered what some people here told me about reverse block, going slowly at my own rate, and it worked! My ears are fine.
I would love to be as great as the apnea swimmers or as the scuba instructors. Perhaps one day I will find equalizing easy but for now I will just go slowly.

Go slowly and equalize frequently on the way down, even every 3-5 feet. Don't force it if you are unable to clear your ears. It takes a little time and practice. There are several ways to equalize other than the valsalva. Look at Diver's Alert Network (DAN) web page for some excellent information on ears and diving.

Hey S. Kim, glad to hear you're back in the water. Going slowly is a good idea. From my limited experience, I can tell you nothing good happens fast in diving. Take your time, be methodical, always think about what you're doing or are going to do and slow ascents are a good thing. There's no need to rush to the surface, unless you don't have air. Never not have air. :wink: Which leads me to my next point. I've found diving is all about air management. We manage the air in our tank, the air in our BC, the air in our lungs, perhaps the air in a dry suit and the little bit of air in our ears. You'll find all those places where the air is effect just about all aspects of diving.

You will find that as you dive more often, clearing your ears will get easier. Between finding the routine that works for you and your ears getting used to equalizing, it will become natural for you and faster. Just slow down, stop, or reverse direction and try again if you can't equalize.

Bob

Question: Atmospheric pressure in fresh water increases faster in fresh water than in salt water because of the density?

Question: Atmospheric pressure in fresh water increases faster in fresh water than in salt water because of the density?

It is the opposite way around. Saltwater has a higher density than fresh water, so pressure would increase faster in saltwater (one atmosphere more every 33ft) than in freshwater (one atmosphere more every 34ft)

Just for reference the density of saltwater is about 1027kg/m3 and freshwater is about 1000kg/m3.

Thanks Landon,
Perhaps it is a psychological thing with me? Off to wikipedia I go!

The density difference vs pressure difference as a function of depth make fresh vs. salt mostly irrelevant.

Look UP, not down which pinches off the Eustachian canals.
Jut the chin OUT, which helps open things up. Cold water hoods with crappy chin design can make this problem worse.
Elevate the 'problem side' toward the surface. One side is generally more of an issue. This also stretches the E. canal and helps with opening.

Some people have little problem with clearing. You can improve with practice and technique, but you cannot exceed your biological limitations. You can augment them with appropriate and considered use of medications, but that's a completely different discussion.

Some people have little problem with clearing. You can improve with practice and technique, but you cannot exceed your biological limitations.
In my experience, believe it or not, you can improve those biological limitations.

After a lifetime of sinus problems (etc.), I learned to scuba dive, and equalizing was a real problem. One instructor flat out told me I might not be able to be a diver because I had so much trouble. I worked at it and worked at it and worked at it. I was diving only a handful of times per year, and each year the equalization issue was serious.

Then I started diving more frequently, and I became an instructor. That meant I was doing a lot of diving, including pool sessions especially. My equalization problems disappeared. Before long I could descend as fast as my body would drop, and I would only have to clear my ears with a valsalva occasionally during the drop. In pool sessions, when descending to the deep end I usually only clear my ears as a visual reminder for the students--I don't need to do it myself. It has nothing to do with technique--my ears just got better at doing it because I was doing it so frequently.

A couple of tips that have really helped me..puff your cheeks a little before you gently blow into your pinched nose...I have absolutely no idea why this works but it does! Also start equalizing on the drive to the dive site or on the boat heading out. If you practice you will develop "muscle memory" and before you know it, equalizing will be intuitive and effortless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom