Auto WB vs Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ataller

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition. I also purchased the snap on SRP filter. I have not been able to dive with the camera yet, I am planning to go this week. I do notice though that when I am playing around with the camera, if I turn Protune and Auto WB on, and I put the filter on the camera, the WB is good enough to give me a proper WB even with the filter on. Negating the effect of the filter completely.

When diving, since the auto WB seems pretty good on the camera, is there even any advantage to using the filter? Should I not just dive filterless but with the auto WB on?

Or is there some limitation to the auto WB underwater that the filter can correct for.

If I am going to use the filter, what should I set the WB to ? Turn off protune? Turn on protune with auto WB ? Turn on protune with a set K?

Thanks,

Adam

You should definitely use the filter after the first 10 feet of water.
Depending on depth and water colour you can then try to combine the auto mode or the colour temperatures with the filter
Light in water is much colder than in air and the auto wb will not work properly at depth

Ok great, I will try auto-wb with the filter.

Ill post my results once I am back from my trip.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom