Auto-Magic or other color filters for DC-800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone is using the Auto-Magic filters or any other color filters on the DC 800?

I do not have much experience with these filters, but they seem to get the job done. I don't think Sealife makes an exterior blue water filter for the DC 800. So it seems you would have to put the filter on the inside of the housing. Which could be a problem if you decide you use your strobe, or video light. I would imagine a strobe or video light would not work to good with this filter.

I hope Joe chimes in here and lets us know if Sealife plans on making an external filter for the DC 800. Or maybe if there is already a filter we can use.

I used standard magic filter sometime ago though not with DC800. Work well in clear water up to 15 m depth with natural light and manual white balance. I believe the standard magic filter is better than the automagic.
You can't use strobe or internal flash with magic filter unless you want to have very redish pictures.

It looks like these filters will work the same as the built in color correction we have on the DC800. Have you tried using the built in color correction? Also the Auto Magic might make your colors a little red if you use them with an external flash as it is on thelens.

Joe I haven't used the built in color correction, where and how should I do that?

I am assuming you mean the Scene Mode's? Where can I find out what scene modes I should use for what situations. I guess use the blue water sea mode without the flash or a light, to get the same results as using a orange blue water filter? So this mode will give me these results?

with_without1.jpg

with_without2.jpg

autom02.jpg

Last edited:
You are correct, it is in scene modes and if you are using the camera without a flash, select Sea. Then you can go into the white balance menu and select your dive conditions with consideration for depth and water color. Now please understand that these are suggested conditions only as there are many variables that will effect the colors. For example last year in the Caymans, we found that Green water worked best even though it was defimetly blue!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom