Auto Closure Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a fan of the oceanic style auto close device. It's basically a little ball on a spring that opens and closes with each breath. IOW, it's essentially another valve that is totally un-necessary, and if it fails or sticks, it could conceivably block air flow from the tank. That's not something you want. I'm not very familiar with the aqualung style, but my understanding is that the tank valve physically prevents the thing from closing off the regulator while it is attached to a tank. That would certainly be an improvement over the oceanic style. Still, how difficult is it to simply remember to put the cap in place?

I have a special metal cap that has never leaked while soaking.

flots.

Last edited:
Well, if you are like my wife and enjoy dunking your regulator in salt water without the protective cap in place or dragging it through the sand etc. I would say, yes, it is important. And yes, it works, at least on the AL Legend series.

N

It seems like ever OW class there is at least one student who forgets...I am not just providing witty humor when I stand around the dip tank at the end of every dive while the students are cleaning their gear. :wink:

your link leads to a LP 108 tank ???

Yes it does. I keep my reg pressurized when I soak it. Actually I use a 19, but the 108 looked cooler.

The point is that all regs come with pretty crappy "dust caps" that aren't actually guaranteed to be water tight, so I soak mine with something that is: a tank.

flots.

I soak my reg pressurized after every day of diving if possible, sometimes you just can't do that- so I put the cap on nice and firm then soak it for a minutes only; always check for bubbles when it first goes in, I think that there might be a few if it was leaking?

The tank is the best idea, however you do not always have acces to a tank on vacation .

Even when I have ready access to a tank, I don't bother. I find them totally unnecessary. But, I don't have any dust caps. I only use protective caps.

If unsure of yourself or your cap, a tank is not a bad idea.

Even when I have ready access to a tank, I don't bother. I find them totally unnecessary. But, I don't have any dust caps. I only use protective caps.

I have Atomics and they warn against soaking unpressurized, so I don't do it. :cool:

Same here, no dust caps, just regulator caps. Since I do my own service it is not as if I do not get to see the results myself. I have also taken a peek into my wife's Legend with ACD, same there, clean as a whistle. During a trip I just dunk the whole thing into the rinse tanks. When I get home I will hook up to a tank and do a god rinse so I can work the purge button. But, then what I really do if it has been a long trip or the regulators got a lot of hard use I might tear them down, just depends.

N

Back
Top Bottom